Addison History of Oxon Hill Hundred Prepared by: Addison Foundation, Inc. September 18, 2017
Oxon Hill Manor, Oxon Hill
The Addison family first moved to the colony of Maryland in 1664. Col. John
Addison (1635-1706) sailed to the colony on his ship the Liverpool. He was an adventurer, politician, farmer, Indian trader and founder of the St. John’s Episcopal church at Broad Creek. John had such influence in the colony that in 1688 he led Col. John Addison
the Protestant Revolution for King William III & Queen Mary. In 1689 he was awarded the Oxon Hill patent as the crown jewel of the colony.
John was also the Keeper of the Great Seal of Maryland during the years of the Proprietary Government. He founded the King William (St. John’s College) school in Annapolis, Md in the year 1696 and served as it’s presidents. He was the Chief Judge of Charles County, MD before he incorporated Prince Georg’s County in 1696 and receives its flag.
John Addison fathered the following children;
Original Oxon Hill Garrison House, 1689
(John, Robert, Ann & Thomas Addison) One of John’s son’s Col. Thomas Addison I (1679-1727) was born in St. Mary’s County in the year 1676. He served in every position his father carried after his death. Thomas received his father’s estate which consisted of six land tract totaling 6,500 acres. He then expanded the family’s estate to over 15,000 acres. Col. Thomas Addison
John Addison’s Liverpool Merchant Record
fathered the following children; (Capt. John II, Maj.Thomas II, Rev. William Henry Thomas Addison of Barnaby Manor (1715-1789) , Anthony, Rebecca, Eleanor & Ann Addison.
Robert Addison’s 1684 Liverpool Merchant Record
Rev. Henry Addison’s Marriage Record, 1751
Rev. W. Henry T. Addison
Barnaby Manor, Oxon Hill
Barnaby Manor was originally built by Thomas Addison circa 1706. It was his grandson Rev. William Henry Thomas Addison who inherited and lived there. Rev. Addison was born to Col. Thomas Addison and Eleanor Smith in 1717. He inherited Barnaby in 1727 during Thomas’s death. The estate originally consisted of 3,000 acre but only 1,407 acres were patented by Rev. Addison in 1767. Rev. Addison also inherited portions of the following land tracts; Addison’s Choice (Frederick, MD) on Addison’s Creek, Chechester (Hillsdale, Good Hope, Fairlawn, Anacostia & Poplar Point) on the Anacostia River, Brothers Joint Interest (Hillcrest Heights, MD), Prevention (Oxon Run Park), Friendships ( Greenbelt Park), and Friendship (Friendship Heights, Tenlytown).
Rev. Addison received his B.A. from Oxford’s Queen’s College in 1735 at the age of 16 and his M.A. in 1741. After being ordained as an Anglican priest, he returned to Maryland to assume the rectorship of St. John's Parish in Prince George's County, MD in 1749. Throughout his ministry Addison was an active defender of clerical integrity in the face of proprietary patronage. He was a strong supporter to the abolitionist movement, and the establishment of an American bishopric. In 1750 he married Rachel Dulany (d. 1774), the daughter of Daniel Dulany and Rebecca Smith. Together they had three mulatto children; Anthony Addison of Barnaby Manor ( 1756-1828), Daniel Dulany Addison and Eleanor Addison - Callis, (Henry Addison Callis’ mother).
Barnaby Manor, Front Elevation, 1917
Side Elevation, 1917
Eleanor Addison - Callis, 1775
George Washington’s Speaks of Rev. Henry Addison, 1768
Addison Chapel, Established 1696
Anthony Addison’s Birth Record, 1756
Rev. Addison not only served over St. John's Parish but he also served over Addison’s Chapel in Seat Pleasant, Maryland. It was during Rev. Addison’s rectorship that Addison’s Chapel allowed blacks to worship with whites in the 1760’s. During the beginning of the revolutionary war Rev. Addison went into exile in Shropshire, England. He soon realized the importance of America’s independence and returned to the country before the end of the hostilities. Rev. Addison arrived in New York in 1781, remaining in the occupied city until the British evacuated in 1783, and finally returned to Maryland the following year to reclaim his land patent rights.
Rev. Addison also took an active interest in the peace negotiation, particularly the status of confiscated property. Most of his property sat on the Washington, DC / Maryland boarders line called Southern Ave and Western Ave in SE and NW Washington, DC. Rev. Addison died the year that his cousin George Washington was elected president of the United States of America in 1789. Although they initially diﬀered over the revolution, Washington was influential in providing safe passage to Rev. Addison and passing legislation that allowed Rev. Addison to reclaim his lands. After his death, his sons Anthony and Daniel Dulany Addison inherited his entire estate.
Anthony Addison was born on April 25, 1754, in Prince George's County, MD. When Rev. Addison died Anthony received, ”all lands restored to me by Act of Assembly and other lands," which included the Chechester. Anthony later married Rebecca Murdock, daughter to William and Margaret Dulany - Murdock on July 26, 1794. William Murdock’s first wife, Ann Addison - Murdock was the daughter of Col. Thomas Addison, and Anthony Addison’s aunt. William’s second wife Margaret Dulany - Murdock was the daughter of Daniel Dulany and Rebecca Smith, and was also Anthony’s cousin.
Rev. Henry Addison’s Chechester Patent Map
Anthony Addison had no children with Rebecca Murdock but instead fathered at least two children PRINCE GEORGE'S COUNTY CIRCUIT COURT (Certificates, Patented, PG) Patented Certificate 491, MSA_S1203_560. Date available 1764/08/21. Printed 05/20/2016.
with the slaves on his plantation. Anthony fathered at least the following children; William and Robert Addison of the Chechester (1794-1879). In the year 1800, 10 years after his father’s death, Anthony Addison received the reclamation letter for the Chechester patent. The patent consisted of 887 acres and
was granted to Rev. William Henry Addison in 1764. Because the land was patented it had to be returned to the Addison’s. By 1810, Anthony Addison sold most of his lands to either his business partners or his relatives. But the Chechester was trusted to his African American sons.
Anthony Addison died in 1830 and by the late 1840’s his sons were recorder on
the very first map draw of the Eastern Branch in Washington, DC. They owned and lived on Anthony’s Chechester estate. This 1856 Hopkins map show evidence of Anthony’s Black Addison descendants and the family’s of Anthony Addison’s slaves.
Margaret Dulany - Murdock
Addison Chechester Estate, Anthony Addison (Black), Jacob Moore (Black), 1845 George Hopkins Map
The Addison Slaves
Earlier back in 1810, Anthony filed reparation papers for his slave Jim
Bruce. Bruce sailed to Nova Scotia under the British army during the war of 1812. The Addison slave inventories once included members of the Moore, Bruce, Taylor, Solomon & Henson families. Also by 1810, Anthony was forced to auctioned oďŹ€ 23 slaves to satisfy his existing debts with Samuel DeButts.
The map above shows the boundaries of the Chechester. The census
Robert Addison Census, 1860
report here shows Robert Addison in 1860 as being one of the first Black gold rush pioneers to settle in a new town called Toulumne, Ca. His nephew Anthony Addison is recorded living on the property in 1880 with his wife Matilda and their sons; Edward, Andrew and Henry Addison.
Also Richard Moore and Jacob Moore, who married into the Addison and Smith family are shown here on this map as the proprietor of a land trust on the Chechester. George Washington Talbert and Bernard Smith are shown on the map, and the town of Good Hope and Union Town are both depicted on here as well.
Anthony Addison Census, 1880
Black Addison family estate, George Henson, Jacob Moore / Eastern Branch Atlas, 1878 Lemuel Robert Addison
Howard Virgil Addison
Charles T. Harris & Robert Addison - Harris
Potomac City & Stanton Town
The Black Addison family are today the oldest family still living within the boundaries of Washington,
DC. The family is responsible for helping to build Potomac City out of which Barry’s Farm was created from the southwest corner of. It was the oldest housing community for the freed slaves after the civil war. The Freedman’s Bureau purchased 375 acres from the Barry estate of St. Elizabeth and Jacob Moore and his Addison and Smith relatives built the roads and named the street there.
Long before Potomac city was established the family
founded two cemeteries there, the Hillsdale and the Jacob Moore
Lemuel’s Interment Card, 1933 Mary Ellen Moore Addison
cemeteries. They were both connected and were first recorded on the 1850 Hopkins map, but didn’t become public until around 1880. It’s proprietor, Jacob Moore was a free born Black slave abolitionist and a relative to the African American Addisons.
Paul Slubly wrote the Jacob Moore cemetery book which was compiled of old cemetery interment cards and a brief history of Jacob Moore. The first card salvaged was that of Lemuel Robert Addison (1881-1933), Robert Addison’s grandson. He married Jacob Moore’s granddaughter, Mary Ellen Moore Addison.
Jacob Moore Cemetery, Est. 1845
Christian Addison & Tanya Lyle at the John Hanson Monument, Photo Credit: Washington Post
Addison's Black History Robert Addison’s grandchildren, Lemuel Robert Addison and Roberta Addison - Harris (Fowler) were the only African American Addison branches to continue living on the Chechester. Both Branches intermarried with the Moore family. Also Roberta Addison - Harris’s descendants include members of the Henson, Moore and Smith families. Her descendants were the oldest family to live on the Chechester. Tanya Lyle and Christian Addison are historians and writers who have been recognized for their works throughout the region.
Christian Addison & Tanya Lyle, at the Maryland State Capital, Photo Credit: State Senate
• 2015 featured in the Anacostia Smithsonian’s exhibit, “How the Civil War changed Washington.” • 2016, featured in the MGM Casino’s Diversity report. • 2016, Washington DC’s mayor recognized the Addison family for their role in helping to free the slaves of Washington, DC. • 2017, featured in the Washington Post & NBC 4 as a member of Washington DC’s oldest family. • 2018, recognized by the Maryland State Assembly and awarded a citation for their historical work.
Christian Addison & Janice Henson, at the Anacostia Smithsonian, Photo Credit: Smithsonian
This is a history brochure about the Addison family of Washington, DC.