The Progression of the Addison Slaves
In the early 1830’s, The Black Addison family built a community that the Anacostia Smithsonian called the most affluent Black community in Washington, DC. In their community aside from farming they built St. John’s Colored Parish, and the Hillsdale and Moore’s cemeteries.
Free Blacks Owned Parts Of Oxon Hill Manor Between the years 1790 to 1800, Rev. Walter Dulany Addison freed all of his slaves. In 1810 Rev. Addison sold 115 acres of his Oxon Hill Manor to Charles Beall, a free Black man. Beall also freed his relative Thomas Moore from Rev. Addison’s brother Thomas Grafton Addison in 1810. Beall and Moore both lived as neighbors at Oxon Hill Manor from 1810 to 1828. By 1830 their descendants had migrated to Anthony Addison’s Chechester lands of Hillsdale and Stanton Town in Washington, DC.
Anthony Addison Manumits The Black Addisons
Anthony Addison’s sister, Eleanor Addison - Callis, Curtesy of Addison Gallery of American Art
Wealthiest Black Community
Mary Ellen Moore - Addison and her husband, Lemuel Robert Addison. Mary Addison was an original Investor of the oldest Black Bank, Industrial Bank of America. While Lemuel was a Master Mason in Washington, DC. Curtesy of their 2nd great grandson, Christian Carter Addison
In 1804 Anthony Addison freed his negro women Mary Lane and her children; Robert, Charles, Thomas and William Addison. Anthony then sold the remainder of his slaves to Samuel Debutts as part of a debt that he had defaulted on. Anthony then sent the Addison children to be raised by his cousin, Margaret Dulany -Murdock. Robert Addison and his descendants inherited lands originally owned by Anthony Addison called Stanton Town and Good Hope, DC. Robert Addison’s grandson, Lemuel Robert Addison married Thomas Moore’s 3rd great granddaughter, Mary Ellen Moore Addison. The Black Addison and Moore family had together established the first affluent Black community in Washington, DC. Mary Addison’s grandfather Jacob Moore helped to build Potomac City (Barry’s Farm) as the first affordable housing development for the freed slaves in Washington, DC. They accomplished this work while working with President Lincoln's War Secretary Edwin Stanton.
1874 Hopkins Historical Map of the Easter Branch, South East Washington, DC. These lands were owned by Anthony Addison and were inherited by the Black Addison and the Moore families. The map shows Jacob Moore who helped build Potomac City (Barry’s Farm, Mary Addison who owned Stanton Town, and Fred Douglas of Anacostia. Courtesy of the National Archives