2014 Shropshire_2007 Shropshire 03/04/2014 15:21 Page 49
CLun MuSeuM Based on a private collection of a local shopkeeper, Mr. Tom Hamar, which in 1932, due to its popularity, was re- housed in part of the ground floor of the Town Hall, built in 1780 by the Earl of Powys. Since those days, under the auspices of the Clun Town Trust (Registered Charity 208408) the Museum has grown to fill both floors of the Town Hall and houses a multitude of local historical and agricultural artefacts from the Clun Forest area. ground Floor The items on display reflect the diversity of Trades in this once self contained market town - the centre of a large Farming community; Smithy, Wheelwright, Clog maker, Saddler, Tailor, Baker,∙ Brewer, to name but a few. It also houses a nationally recognized collection of Flints which were traded along the Clun/Clee Ridgeway. First Floor Here the main theme is local memorabilia of both the First (1914 –1918) and Second (1939 –1945) World Wars, including uniforms of all three Armed Forces, Nursing and Women’s Land Army, together with our photographic collection and a Digital Photo frame.
Schools, Historical Societies and Clubs are very welcome and special opening times can be arranged. We are active members of the Shropshire Heritage Forum and validated providers for The Shropshire Children’s University. access for all We have audio, Braille and two large print guides together with an illuminated tactile map of Clun and pictures for the use of visually impaired visitors. A stairlift is installed for easy access and a portable ramp available at Main Entrance.
Easter - 31st October TueSDayS: 2.00pm - 5.00pm SaTuRDayS & Bank HoLiDayS: (Mondays & Tuesdays) 11.00am- 1.00pm 2.00pm - 5.00pm For special openings at other times Contact Curator: Email: email@example.com Websites: www.clunmuseum.org.uk www.shropshirehistory.org.uk
Signpost - page 49