Architectural / Engineering / Construction Management Services Request for Proposals ACE Mentorship Rochester 300 State Street Rochester, NY 14614 ACE Mentorship of Rochester invites you to provide services to perform Architectural / Engineering / Construction Management services for the Aqueduct Revitalization and Visitor Center, through design development. This project is to include design development of a 12,000 s.f. Aqueduct Visitor Center, (2) informational Kiosks, and Walking Paths. Estimated construction cost for all project elements is $2,400,000. PROJECT BACKGROUND: The original Erie Canal Aqueduct (former part of Clinton’ Ditch) was constructed between 1821 and 1823 by William Britton. This original Aqueduct structure was built of Red Medina sand stone mined in the northern portions of Rochester close to what is now known as the Greece‐Rochester border. Because of the porous nature of sandstone, the structure leaked profusely causing severe degradation to the structure. The Erie Canal Aqueduct was built as a replacement structure for the original bridge during the first enlargement of the canal system. The second structure was built of Onondaga Limestone and located 50 feet to the south of the original site. This decision was partly based on the need to alleviate a ninety degree bend on the east side of the river but more importantly to accommodate Hervy Ely’s mill operation. At this time (circa 1838), the Erie Canal Aqueduct was built wider and slightly deeper to accommodate larger canal vessels. The second Erie Canal Aqueduct was completed in 1842. This structure is approximately 800 feet long, 70 feet wide and 27 feet high, with an interior “canal bed” depth of 8’6”. After the third enlargement of the Erie Canal in 1918, the demise of the canal within the downtown corridor of Rochester was eminent. Canal facilities throughout the State of New York were relocated to outside the dense urban core environments and many communities up and down the system, filled in their canal bed and walked away. In 1925, the City adaptively re‐used the former aqueduct for a railroad and subway facility and constructed a bridge overhead that carries Broad Street. Subway operations ran from 1927‐1956. Pressure from the great depression caused financial hardship for the subway operations and capital maintenance was forgone. Further pressure came from constraints placed upon the subway system after 1945 by suburban sprawl, post World War II demographics, promotion of the GI Bill and federal interstate transportation policy. Ridership of the subway declined and could never recover from its post 1945 highs. Eventually the Subway ceased operation in 1956.
The concrete superstructure of the Erie Canal Aqueduct was re‐built in 1972 and now carries four traffic lanes and two parking lanes. The interior confines of the Eire Canal Aqueduct have been empty since June 30, 1956 and public access has been discouraged. Overall the Erie Canal Aqueduct is considered to be in good condition. The City of Rochester has a series of conceptual plans for re‐adaptive use of the interior confines of the 1842 Erie Canal Aqueduct in the heart of the Center City. Current concepts depict using the interior confines of the only remaining and oldest aqueducts on the original Erie Canal (circa 1842) to combine in a creative manner, an all‐weather public pedestrian passageway, a historical interpretative corridor, Hervey Ely’s original flour mill (circa 1827), streetscape amenities, a waterfront promenade. This project helps preserve and enhance the most important historic transportation facility in the Rochester region. The Historic Erie Canal Aqueduct is believed to be the only transportation facility listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Historic American Engineering Record, and as a National Civil Engineering Landmark by the American Society of Civil Engineering. PROJECT SCOPE: Aqueduct Visitor Center: The visitor center shall be a 12,000 s.f. building. There shall be a large, 6,000 s.f. min., exhibit space to accommodate a history of the Erie Canal and the Aqueduct, this space will double as a catering hall. Provide a catering kitchen, 4 offices, Public Restrooms, and Storage Space. All spaces are to be handicap accessible. The site should allow the exhibit space to have views to the Aqueduct and provide trails leading from the building to the Aqueduct and the Genesee River. Informational Kiosks: These shall be able to provide protection from the elements for maps, history of the aqueduct, and other area information. The kiosks are to be easily accessible to change information regularly. Provide lights to easily view the information in the kiosks from all angles. Walking Paths: Provide paths leading from the visitor center to the aqueduct, along the aqueduct, and through the city to highlight historic points of interest. There should be benches, trash receptacles, and points of interest signage. Develop a design for the Walking Path Signage. DELEVERABLES: •
(1) ‐24x36 Board showing the site and any proposed improvements, include existing structures, new structures, and history
(1) ‐ 24x36 Board showing floor plans, elevations, and sections of the visitor center.
(1) ‐ 24x36 Board showing perspectives of the visitor center, including the surrounding area.
Indicate proposed materials, cost estimate, construction schedule.
Class project proposal