Page 1

Moving Out Ending your tenancy

If you decide that you want to end your tenancy and move out of your home, we want to help you do this with as little fuss and cost as possible.

Moving Out


What you need to do First, you must tell us if you want to end your tenancy. You can tell us in writing or by phoning. You will need to complete a tenancy termination form. The amount of notice you have to give us is explained in your tenancy agreement. It can vary, but it is usually four weeks. You are responsible for paying your rent until the end of that notice period, even if you leave before the date. If you do not give us the full amount of notice required, or you hand in your keys early, we may charge you rent for the full notice period. However, if we can re-let the home you are leaving before the end of your notice, it may reduce the amount you have to pay. In some cases, we may agree to end the tenancy with a shorter notice period. For example, if you are moving to another Accent home or someone else is dealing with your affairs on your behalf. We will tell you the exact day your tenancy will end. We will also arrange an appointment to inspect your home before you leave to talk about any repairs or redecoration we feel is needed before you hand back your keys. If you get housing benefit, it will stop on the day your tenancy ends, or on the day you move out if you leave before the notice ends. You should contact your local housing benefit office to let them know you are moving out and where your next home will be. If you pay your rent by Direct Debit or standing order, tell your bank or building society to cancel the payments when your tenancy ends if you don’t have an ongoing payment agreement in place. Make sure you give them at least five working days notice.


Moving Out

Before you move out • • • • • •

Complete any repairs you are responsible for. Report any outstanding repairs to us. Make sure the property is clean. Remove your own furniture, carpets and curtains. Make sure your garden or other outside area is tidy. Remove all your rubbish.

If you have any large items of rubbish or things you don’t want to take with you, ask your local council to come and collect them. When you are removing items, try not to damage the property or any of our fixtures and fittings or appliances. If you have good clean furniture and appliances you no longer want, you could contact your local office to see if they are aware of any agencies who might be able to collect and recycle clean unwanted items. Someone else may be glad of them. You must not remove the fixtures and fittings attached to the structure of your home, or the appliances we own (such as boilers). If you are not sure whether something belongs to us, or may have belonged to a past resident, please check with us. Who needs to know you are moving • The council tax office. • The utility companies that provide your gas, electric and water. (Ask them to read your meters and send you a final bill – this will help you if there are any disputes). • Your phone company so they can disconnect your landline telephone. • The Post Office so they can redirect your mail.

On the day you move out • Turn off your water at the stop tap. • Take your own meter readings for your gas, electric and water. • Return your keys to us – including all communal keys and keyfobs. • Tell us your new address.


Moving Out

Once your tenancy has ended Once you return your keys to us, we will inspect the property to check if any repairs are needed before a new resident moves in. If we find any repairs that you are responsible for, whether or not we have discussed them with you, or we have to remove any of your belongings that you have left behind, we will charge you for the cost. We will store any belongings you leave behind for 28 days after you move out and we will charge you for the storage costs. If you do not collect your belongings in 28 days, we will dispose of them. You should arrange for the utility companies providing the services in your new home to take meter readings on the day you move in so you are not charged for the previous occupant’s use. If you do not know who supplies the utilities in your new home, websites such as and have a postcode search so you can find out who the suppliers are and how to compare energy prices so you can be sure of getting the best deal. If you are taking gas and electrical items with you, you must use a qualified electrician or Gas Safe registered engineer to disconnect them. You must not leave any bare wires or open gas pipes behind and you should turn of all your services at the mains before you leave. If you have home contents insurance, you also need to tell your insurer you are moving so they can arrange cover in your new home. You should also tell TV Licensing ( so they can switch your license to your new home. It could help to make a list of everyone you need to tell as things can sometimes get forgotten.

Moving Out


If you want to move but don’t have somewhere else to live If you want to leave your current home but stay with Accent, we can help you find a ‘mutual exchange’ or consider you for a transfer to another home. A mutual exchange allows residents who rent from a registered social landlord like Accent, or the council, to swap their homes with each other. If you would like to exchange your home, or you wish to be considered for a transfer to another Accent home, you should talk to your housing officer first. They will explain the process and the conditions that apply and send you any information you need. We are part of House Exchange, an online mutual exchange service for housing association and council residents. Once you have talked to your housing officer and agreed that a mutual exchange is right for you, register at If you don’t have access to the internet, ask your local office to help you register.

Stay in touch T: 0345 678 0573 E:  @accentgroupltd Office addresses and opening times are available on our website AG12 Issue 2 – December 2017

Moving out  
Moving out