After finalising my three designs I transferred the drawings onto the etching plates and drew the designs out using the etching tool. I had to work quite quickly as I had a limited amount of time to prepare the plates for printing, and there is limited availability in the print workshop. The results from the first prints did not produce very strong prints. The lines were too feint and some of the definition around the facial features looked distorted. I was looking for more contrast in the imagery, more impact. I prepared the three plates again with hard ground, drew on top of the first series of lines, and repeated the whole acid etching process. I had rushed through the first stage of drawing and the result of this was prints that lacked visual impact. I learnt that, similar to lino printing, etching is an even longer process, and that each stage should be carefully considered in order to achieve good results. The second time I drew into the plates I took more time in building the tonal variations and linework. I looked back at the original visual references so that I was drawing from observation rather than my imagination.