Site name: Jerash Location: North Jordan Feature: Aqueduct Period: Roman
Description: Springs 1200 m N of Gerasa fed the reservoir of Birketein (=double pool) which had a rectangular shape and was divided into two parts by a barrier wall. It is 43,5 m wide, 88,5 m long and some 3 m deep. Originally a colonnade, which can be dated to 209 AD However the water level in the reservoir was to low to supply the city center of Gerasa with fresh water. The Birketein water was (and still is) only used for local agricultural purposes.