Page 380

Site name: Humeima/Auara Feature: Aqueduct Period: Roman

380

Description: The large Roman fort at the N edge of Auara is one of the most prominent features at the site. The rectangular plan of the fort with a gate in each of the four walls, measured 500 x 700 Roman feet (206 x 148 m), the reservoir in its NW corner (100 x 50 x 10 Roman feet; 29 x 14 x 3 m) had a capacity of about 1250 m3, presumably built in the same period as the fort. The aqueduct entered the fort from the NW. The distance to the presumed intersection with the main al-Qanah aqueduct is about 100 m but here ploughing had obliterated all traces of the aqueduct conduit. At the SW corner remains of another sandstone conduit slab suggest a continuation of the water in the reservoir to a place more close to the inhabited areas.

Final study of CulMe-WeOnCT project