NGINEERING INVENTIONS, GREAT WORKS C-Aqueducts
Site: Jerash Sub site: Aqueduct Period: Roman
378 Description: Springs 1200 m N of Gerasa fed the reservoir of Birketein (=double pool) which had a rectangular shape and was divided into two parts by a barrier wall. It is 43,5 m wide, 88,5 m long and some 3 m deep. Originally a colonnade, which can be dated to 209 AD. However the water level in the reservoir was too low to supply the city center of Gerasa with fresh water. The Birketein water was (and still is) only used for local agricultural purposes.