Fig. 14-15. The so-called Cleopatra Needles. AlexMed
The grand complex of public buildings, discovered in the area of Kom el Dikka is undoubtedly the most important part of the ancient Alexandrian downtown dating during the Roman and the Late Roman periods14 (Figs. 16 and 17) In 1958, a project began to remove the artificial hill of the Napoleonic fort at Kom el Dikka in order to gain land for a new governorate of Alexandria. At the beginning of this project, part of the so-called Roman Theater, today identified as Odeon, was revealed (fig. 18. The picture emerging from the excavation of an extensive section of downtown ancient Alexandria existing from the 1st century AD through its wartime destruction and abandonment in the late 3rd century is an entirely new vision of the architectural and urban development of the ancient metropolis.
For articles related to the area of Kom ek Dikka see Bulletin de la Société archéologique d'Alexandrie 42
and 43; Majcherek, 2007; McKenzie, 2007, 209-220.