High Performance Computing 2bm.co.uk
1. INTRODUCTION To design, build and deliver an operational class leading HPC Tier 3 data centre for ARM in less than three months from starting on site with only eight weeks to gain the relevant approvals. A full turn-key solution managing the permissions required Managing the design and construction of the building and civil engineering elements, mechanical and electrical engineering works As well as fitting out data centre ready for racking of IT equipment.
2. THE CHALLENGE Designing a highly efficient and sustainable Tier 3 data centre within the confines of an existing building and site in an accelerated window during winter Guaranteed annual average PUE of under 1.20 Design had to be fully concurrently maintainable Obtaining planning permission from the Local Authority in only eight weeks, with Landlords and Building Control approvals as work proceeded Reconfiguration of the local HV supply to allow for the new 2000kVA MV transformer Very limited space on site to locate all the elements required by the design especially when the Tier 3 requirement was taken into consideration On-site parking was at a premium with only limited compromise allowed 60 cabinets all HPC with 24kW requirement to any one cabinet.
3. the SOLUTION Have a clear understanding of what is required and how to deliver it Appoint a skilled, dedicated and highly focused project team Break the project up in to smaller tasks managed separately and brought together to provide the whole by the completion date Compact low profile design to maximise existing car parking and minimise environmental impact Elements manufactured off site in tandem with the on-site works to allow just in time delivery Utilisation of fast build construction methods and techniques Incentivise the project team, specialist contractors and operatives to deliver Allowances made for extended working hours Innovative cooling and electrical solution with maximum â€˜freeâ€™ cooling hours and minimal power losses.
4. PROJECT MANAGEMENT To deliver a project of this nature all the people involved need to be completely focused on its delivery, this requires: An experienced data centre D&B Project Manager with a ‘can do’ attitude High quality and data centre experienced designers and project support team with one focus – the success of the project Use PRINCE2 Themes and Principles to underpin the project’s delivery Ensure that a detailed and continually updated project plan is used Regular meetings with project team members and the customer because, ‘communication is king’ Actively manage issues as they arise and continually track them The delivery team and the customer should not be afraid to change a strategy if the current one is not working. A flexible delivery team and customer will be more likely to succeed.
5. DELIVERY This project was a challenge every day with such a tight program to achieve. We needed to: Control and manage our our own labour and teams of specialist contractors to get the days requirement completed in a safe and controlled manner Manage up to 60 operatives on a small and restricted site Ensure everyone was site inducted and working to 2bm’s safety standards Maintain our Considerate Constructor status Maintain a continuous flow of materials and plant without ‘clogging’ up the site Quality control. Even with a fast track project the quality of the delivery data centre must not be compromised.
6. SUSTAINABILITY Lights out facility Flywheel UPS batteries therefore no need to replace traditional lead acid batteries All waste was recycled including the tarmac and soil excavated during construction Every component and system will be measured, monitored and managed Rainwater harvesting Low PUE Fully recyclable design.
7. Exceeding Expectations Not only did we construct a tier-3 full high-density data centre in phenomenal time, we still pushed the boundaries of innovation and efficiencies, ensuring we have one of the most efficient data centres in the world. Richard Stern ARM Data Centre Project Manager
8. AWARD WINNING DESIGNS At 2bm, we provide a data centre design and build service with a difference, offering awardwinning advice and installation from a team that always delivers efficient data centres, cost and space savings and fewer headaches for IT teams. And the first ever Gold Accreditation issued by Certified Energy Efficient Datacentre Award for our multi-million pound project for ARM.
The ARM Data Centre is an excellent example of what an energy efficient data centre should look like.
THE 2BM APP
for iPhone and iPad
to view the ARM Data Centre being built
2bm Limited Eldon Business Park Eldon Road, Chilwell Nottingham NG9 6DZ email@example.com 0115 925 6000 2bm.co.uk