SAFETY INSTRUCTIONS Damage to the alternator can occur if:
• Engine is operated with battery cables disconnected.
• Battery cables are connected when •
using a fast charger or when welding on the loader. (Remove both cables from the battery.) Extra battery cables (booster cables) are connected wrong.
1–4.3 Installing New Battery NOTE: See Section 6 Paragraph 6–3.1 and 6–3.3 for more information on removing and replacing batteries.
1. Remove the negative battery cable from the battery first, using a cable puller (Fig. 1–30). Remember the position of the battery cables so you can connect the cables correctly when installing the battery.
Removing Battery Cable
2. Remove the battery holddown (Fig. 1–31, Item 1) or (Fig. 1–32, Item 1). Remove the battery from the compartment.
3. Clean the terminal posts (Fig. 1–33) or the new battery and the ends of the battery cables. 4. Install the new battery in the battery compartment. 5. Install the holddown clamp. 6. Install the positive battery cable first and tighten. Connect the negative cable last to prevent sparks.
Fig. 1–31 Battery Location (540)
Fig. 1–32 Battery Location (543)
Revised Oct. 98
Cleaning Battery Terminals
540, 543 Loader Service Manual