Page 1


The following information applies to you if you are an Australian citizen, an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder, a New Zealand citizen residing in Australia for their degree, or a holder of an Australian permanent resident visa residing in Australia.

The University offers a range of scholarships to support postgraduate Research Higher Degree students. Living allowance scholarships are available for both domestic and international candidates; in 2011 the minimum value of these scholarships was $22,860 p.a. Tuition fee scholarships are also available for international students (domestic RHD students don’t pay fees). Scholarships are typically of 2 years duration for Masters level students or 3.5 years for PhD students. Please contact the Office of Graduate Studies for further detail.


contents Which Student Are you? --------------------------------------------- pg 4 How do I calculate my fees? ---------------------------------------- pg 7 How can I pay these fees? ------------------------------------------ pg 9 Summary ------------------------------------------------------------ pg 11 Contact ------------------------------------------------------------ pg 12





UNDERGRADUATE Domestic Undergraduate Students are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa and New Zealand citizens who are studying a course that leads to the award of a diploma, advanced diploma, associate degree or a bachelor degree (pass, honours or graduate entry).

Some programs are more expensive than others and the amount students contribute varies depending on the course. Australian citizens and Australian permanent humanitarian visa holders can pay their student contributions before the census date and receive a discount, or they can defer their full student contribution through a HECS-HELP loan and repay it later through the taxation system. New Zealand citizens and Australian permanent residents are required to pay their full student contributions by the census date. See Payment Options for more information.

All new domestic undergraduate students are Commonwealth supported. This means the Australian Government provides funding towards the cost of your education. You are required to pay a portion of the cost as a Student Contribution.

Undergraduate Program Handbook

Student Contribution Amounts

POSTGRADUATE Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa and New Zealand citizens studying a Postgraduate fee-paying coursework program must pay tuition fees for their courses.

Australian citizens and holders of a Permanent Humanitarian Visa may pay their tuition fees upfront to the University or defer to the ATO via the FEE-HELP scheme. Australian permanent residents and New Zealand citizens must pay their tuition fee to the University by census date.

Postgraduate Program Handbook

Program Indicative Annual Fees

Student Contribution Amounts


RESEARCH Research students are postgraduate students studying towards a Master of Philosophy (M Phil) or Doctorate (PhD) by research in a specific discipline. Research students fall in to a different category to postgraduate students who are studying for their degree by coursework.

For further information regarding fees or scholarships, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies directly. Office of Graduate Studies Room 2.34, East Wing, Chancellery Building Ph: (02) 49216537 Fax: (02) 49216908 Email:

Domestic students are Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents, holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa or New Zealand citizens. Domestic Research Higher Degree students’ fees are met by the Commonwealth Government sponsored Research Training Scheme (RTS). In effect, domestic RHD students do not pay any fees during the life of their RTS allowance. RTS funding extends to include two years support for full-time M Phil students (or part-time equivalent), or four years support for full-time PhD students (or part-time equivalent). It is current University policy to continue to meet students’ tuition fees beyond this date, dependant on their progress. Please be aware that this policy is subject to change at any time.

CHECK YOUR UNIVERSITY EMAIL REGULARLY! All correspondence from the University, including important information about course fees, will be sent to your student email, NUmail.


HOW TO CALCULATE YOUR FEES Each degree program requires the completion of a number of units. To accumulate the necessary units, students enrol in courses according to the degree requirements for each program. Each course has a unit value and this is ten (10) for most courses at the University of Newcastle. A normal fulltime study load is 80 units in any year or 40 units per semester/trimester.


This calculation information does NOT apply to Research students. See

Once you have used the previous links from your respective area (eg. Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Research) to find out which courses you are studying and how much each course will cost you. Write this down.


We can see from the Undergraduate Fees Schedule Table that the two ABOR courses and the DRAM course each fall into Band 1, which means each of these courses cost $706. The ECON course, however, falls into Band 3, which is $1178.

Calculate. For example: Tom studies the Bachelor of Arts and is studying the following four 10 unit courses in Sem 1; ABOR1110, ABOR1370, DRAM1010 and ECON1001.

You will be charged for every course that you are enrolled in after the Census Date. Make sure to drop any unwanted courses in Myhub before the Census Date to avoid financial penalty!

NOW ADD EACH COURSE FEE TOGETHER FOR A SEMESTERLY FIGURE: 3 X $706 = $2118 1 X $1,178 = $1178 Total = $3296 *


You may find it easier to fill in a table each for semester or year as an easy to read summary. For example:

COURSE CODE     ABOR1110   ABOR1370   DRAM1010   ECON1001      

BAND     1   1   1   3    

COST   $706 $680   $706 $680   $706 $680   $1178 $1,135  

= $3296 $3175  

* The example course fees are correct for 2012. Please refer to online course handbooks for current figures.


PAY.MENT OPTIONS Using the example of Tom before, lets look at what his payment options are... * New Zealand citizens and Permanent Residents in Commonwealth Supported Places must pay their HECS contribution in full by the term census date.


undergraduate Payment Option 1: Full up-front payment with a 10% discount

Payment Option 3: Deferred Payment

$3296 X 90% = $2966.40

Tom may choose to obtain a HECS-HELP loan for his full student contribution and defer payment until his income exceeds the minimum threshold (i.e. Tom will not make any student contribution payments for semester 1 before the census date). The Australian Government will provide the full amount of Tom’s contribution to the University of Newcastle. This amount is Tom’s HECS-HELP loan for that census date.

Tom only has to pay student contribution fees worth $2966.40. The Australian Government will pay the remaining 10% and Tom will never be required to pay this amount. Tom will have no HECS-HELP debt from Semester 1.

Payment Option 2: Partial Payment of $500 or more. If you make a partial up-front payment of $500 or more by the census date you will receive a 10% HECS-HELP discount. Tom decides to pay a partial payment of $500. Tom’s payment, including the discount on his up-front payment is;

NB If you do not supply your Tax File Number to the University by the Census Date, you will be limited to Option #1

$500 X 1.125 = $562.50. His HECS-HELP debt will now be $3296 $562.50 = $2733.50. The Australian Government will pay this amount ($2733.50), plus the amount of the discount ($562.50 - $500 = $62.50) to the University of Newcastle on Tom’s behalf. Tom will be required to make repayments on the remaining debt when his repayment income is above the minimum threshold for compulsory repayment.


postgraduate Payment Option 1. Pay the fee up-front to the University.

Payment Option 2. Apply for an interest free loan through the FEE-HELP Scheme (previously known as the Postgraduate Education Loans Scheme). The Government then pays your fee direct to the University and when you are earning $47196 (for the 2011/2012 financial year; indexed each year), you pay instalments back to the Government via the PAYG tax system.

You must provide the University with your Tax File Number prior to the census date. This is done through the ECAF in MyHub.

Don’t have a Tax File Number? You will need to contact the ATO to arrange for a new TFN prior to the census date.


SIMPLE SUMMARY 1. Accept your offer - congratulations! 2. As part of your enrolment process you will need to complete an Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) if you are Commonwealth supported or if you are postgraduate and using FEE-HELP. You must provide a Tax File Number if you intend to utilise a HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP loan. 3. Choose which courses you will be studying that semester/trimester, and use the course fees table to calculate what the cost will be. 4. Receive your bill in the first 2 weeks of semester/trimester. Finalise course selection and make any payments BEFORE or on the Census Date. 5. If you are eligible to defer tuition fees that you choose not to pay by the census date, this will be added to your HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP debt. You can contact the ATO for payment options.

* Please note: The above summary only applies to Undergraduate and Postgraduate domestic students, and not Research Higher Degree students.




15000 UoN Enquiries (02) 4921 5000

For enquiries relating to your Commonwealth Supported Place (HECS, FEE or OS-HELP) or International Student Financials:

For Research Higher Degree enquiries: Office of Graduate Studies Room 2.34 Chancellery Building University of Newcastle Callaghan, 2308 Ph: (02) 49216537

Student Financials & Scholarships (02) 4921 5309 or 4921 5322.


Domestic Fees  

Domestic Fees