The Responder The Official Newsletter of the 100 Club of Central Texas
100 Club Golf T ournament November 8, 2010
Twin Creeks Country Club Cedar Park, Texas $600/foursome; $160/person First Responders: $300/foursome; $80/person
Register NOW! The 100 Club of Central Texas Headquarters • 3200 Steck Avenue, Suite 240 • Austin,TX 78757
The Responder Board of Directors
Officers Earl Studdard Chairman of the Board Owner North Carolina Furniture Direct San Marcos, TX
Golf Tournament November 8, 2010 Jason Cardwell Director of Sales AT&T Mobility Austin, TX
Chris Bratton President Chief Elgin Police Department Elgin, TX
Dollie Cole Owner Briarpatch Ranch Lockhart, TX
Bruce Mills President Elect City of Austin (Retired) Grahame Jones VP of Special Events Major Texas Parks and Wildlife Austin, TX
Rod Cole Staff Engineer IBM/Tivoli Austin, TX
Jan Estlow VP of Programs Broker The Kucera Company Austin, TX
John C. D. Drolla, Jr. Owner Law Offices of John C. D. Drolla, Jr. Austin, TX
Bruce Mills City of Austin (Retired) Marble Falls, TX
Anne M. Haikola Real Estate Broker Emerald Haven Realty Austin, TX
Jeff Pennell Entrepreneur Co-VPs of Operations
Velma Hunter-Gonzales The Texas Lottery Commission Austin, TX
Dale Vannoy VP of Membership Mike Cox VP of Communications Texas Parks & Wildlife Austin, TX
Bob Larson Owner Old Timer Clock Shop Austin, TX
Northern Sherrod VP of Community Services Temple-Inland Austin, TX
Carolyn Schilthuis Austin, TX
Ginger MacMicking Ex officio Executive Vice President The 100 Club of Central Texas
Join us for the 10th annual tournament in remembrance of Central Texasâ€™ fallen first responders for an amazing day of golf. The event will take place at Twin Creeks Country Club in Cedar Park.
28th Annual Gala May 20, 2011 The 100 Clubâ€™s Annual Awards Banquet is our opportunity to show appreciation to all First Responders who have gone above and beyond the call of duty for our community and to award scholarships. This year's event will be held at the Hyatt Regency Austin on Town Lake.
Peace * Love * Happiness Motorcycle Ride April 9, 2011 The charity ride was started in 2003 by John Paul DeJoria of Paul Mitchell Systems and Gary Spellman of Ultimate Face Cosmetics. The P*L*H ride embraces everything that makes Austin such a unique and wonderful city--food, music, beautiful scenery, and a custom bike show. Cowboy HarleyDavidson is once again partnering with us.
Fishing Tournament TBD 2011
Staff Mihomy Martell-Shade Bookkeeper
Calendar of Events
Nancy Naizer Graphic Designer
Larry York Marketing/Office Mgr.
The proceeds of this tournament assist families of First Responders who are killed or critically injured in the line of duty.
President’s Message W
ell, we made it into the Fall continued gifts make it possible for us to continue season and it’s time for our supporting those survivors we currently support and annual golf tournament. This has also make it possible for us to support future survivbeen a tough Fall for the 100 Club. ing families should the need arise. I pray every day Losing Cedar Park Officer Leon- that we won’t have another first responder death in ard Reed reminds us all that life is, our Central Texas area but I also know that the brave indeed, precious and our first re- men and women who work tirelessly in those jobs face sponders risk theirs every day so danger each and every day that they go to work for that we might enjoy the freedoms us. It is so important that we be ready to assist them if that the Constitution guarantees the need arises. Please take a minute to pledge your us. Officer Reed left behind a wife support to the work of the 100 Club in any way that Chris Bratton and two young you can – either sons. The 100 Club is standing by through a genthem and offering assistance to erous contribuLosing Cedar Park Officer Leonard Reed them as they transition through this tion or by volundifficult time in their lives. We can reminds us that life is, indeed, precious and teering at one of only do this because of your past our first responders risk theirs every day.... our events like support of the 100 Club and I wantthe coming golf ed to tell you how much I apprecitournament. ate that support. But I also want to remind you that we Your support will make all the difference to one of have work to continue to do. our first responders. I’m asking that you please give thoughtful consider- Thank you, ation to your future gifts to the 100 Club. We need your support now more than ever. In this turbulent world, our first responders are often placed at risk to make Chris Bratton, President sure that our lives continue on uninterrupted. Your The 100 Club of Central Texas
The 100 Club Welcomes New Board Member Dale Vannoy
he 100 Club welcomes Dale Vannoy as Vice President of Membership. Dale has been an elected official, Constable Precinct 2, since January 2004. As a Sergeant with the Cedar Park Police Department from June 1997 to March 2003, Dale was a Field Training Officer and Drug Recognition Expert. He was a recipient of the Life Saving Award in 1999 and the Chief’s Award of Excellence in 2000. He is a dedicated public servant with a passion for community service.
Cedar Park Officer Leonard Reed EOW 08-18-10 A memorial to Officer Leonard Reed will be included in the next issue of The Responder.
What’s Inside … Calendar of Events .............................................. 2 President’s Message ............................................. 3 Golf Tournament ............................................. 4 - 5 Officer Leonard Reed........................................... 6 Business Discount Members . ........................... 11
The Responder • hole-in-one
pr ize s •
• 2011 audi a4 • 2011 miata sponsored: roger Beasley auto group • 2011 niSSan altima 2.5S sponsored By south point nissan • trip for 2 to the maSterS tournament sponsored By the 100 CluB It’s time to pull out the nine irons and putters ... the 10th Annual 100 Club Golf Tournament is right around the corner. This year’s tournament will take place at the picturesque Twin Creeks Country Club in Cedar Park, on Monday, November 8, 2010. Registration will begin at 8:00 a.m., followed by a complimentary continental breakfast. The shotgun start is at 9:30 a.m.; lunch and the awards ceremony will be at 2:00 p.m. The cost is $600 per team of four players or $160 per person [cost for First Responders is $300 per team of four or $80 per person].
Each team must have a captain who will serve as the contact person and submit registration fees for their team. We hope to register more teams than we have in previous years and raise at least $15,000 for the 100 Club’s Program Fund. Even if you are not a golfer, you can still participate by becoming a sponsor for the tournament. With your sponsorship, your company’s logo will be displayed at the tournament and receive special recognition in our quarterly newsletter, The Responder, plus much more--see below!
• event information • When:
Monday November 8, 2010
Where: Twin Creeks Country Club Cedar Park, Texas 8:00 a.m. - Check-in/Registration 9:30 a.m. - Shotgun Start 2:00 p.m. - Awards Ceremony Tournament will host a continental breakfast and lunch with beverages provided by County Line. [NOTE: A second shotgun start will be added if needed.]
Cost $600 per team of four players $160 per person First responders only $300 per team of four players $80 per person
• about the tournament • To honor the memory of first responders who have been killed in the line of duty and to raise money for The Program Fund, the 100 Club of Central Texas hosts
an annual golf tournament. One hundred percent of the profits benefit families of first responders. For more information about
the Program Fund or to see a complete list of Central Texas Fallen First Responders,, please visit www.100clubcentex.com.
• SponSorShip opportunitieS • • Platinum - $5,000 Four full golf teams; a table for 10 at the annual gala plus visual and verbal recognition for your support; sponsor acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter The Responder; a link on the 100 Club website; a oneyear membership in the 100 Club. • Golf Shirts - $4,000 Three full golf teams; logo on shirts; six reserved seats at the annual gala plus visual and verbal recognition for your support; sponsor acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter The Responder; a link on the 100 Club website; a one-year membership in the 100 Club.
• Gold - $3,000 Three full golf teams; four reserved seats at the annual gala plus visual and verbal recognition for your support; sponsor acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter The Responder; a link on the 100 Club website; a one-year membership in the 100 Club.
• Bronze - $1,000 One full golf team; two reserved seats at the annual gala plus verbal recognition for your support; sponsor acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter The Responder; a oneyear membership in the 100 Club.
• Team - $600 One full golf team; sponsor acknowl• Silver - $2,000 edgement in the 100 Club newsletTwo full golf teams; four reserved seats ter The Responder; a one-year memat the annual gala plus visual and bership in the 100 Club. verbal recognition for your support; • Hole - $250/hole [deadline 10/29] sponsor acknowledgement in the Your logo and/or name will be 100 Club newsletter The Responder; displayed at each hole sponsored a link on the 100 Club website; a one- and acknowledged in the 100 Club year membership in the 100 Club. newsletter The Responder.
• Player registration • Team Captain or Individual Player ____________________________________________________________________________ Address ___________________________________________ City ST Zip _______________________________________________ Phone _______________________________ Email ________________________________ Shirt size (circle) M L XL 2XL 3XL Player 2 ______________________________ Email ________________________________ Shirt size (circle) M L XL 2XL 3XL Player 3 ______________________________ Email ________________________________ Shirt size (circle) M L XL 2XL 3XL Player 4 ______________________________ Email ________________________________ Shirt size (circle) M L XL 2XL 3XL Form of payment (circle):
Card Number ____________________________________________ Exp Date ________________ Security Code __________ Name on Card ___________________________________________ Mail or fax form (with payment) to: The 100 Club of Central Texas P. O. Box 10126 Austin, Texas 78766 FAX: 512.345.3215
First Responders only:
___ $600 per team (4 players)
___ $300 per team (4 players)
___ $160 per person
___ $ 80 per person
• sPonsor registration •
Contact Name _____________________________________ Phone ______________________________________________ Company ________________________________________________________________________________________________ (as it should read on acknowledgement) Address ____________________________________________ City ST Zip ___________________________________________ Email ______________________________________________ Sponsor Level _______________ or Donation $ _________ Form of payment (circle one):
Card Number ________________________________________ Exp. Date _______________ Security Code ____________ Name on Card _______________________________________
Mail or fax form (with payment) to: The 100 Club of Central Texas P. O. Box 10126 Austin, Texas 78766 FAX: 512.345.3215
Official Use Only
Cedar Park Officer Leonard Reed EOW 08-18-10
n the history of the Cedar Park Police Department, Officer Leonard Reed was the second officer to be killed in the line of duty. While on a training exercise, Officer Reed, 41, was thrown from his motorcycle on Arrow Point Road after performing a traffic stop. He was rushed to the hospital, but succumbed from his injuries later that evening. Leonard leaves behind a wife, Cynthia, and two sons, Dominic and DeMitri. Officer Reed served with the Cedar Park Police Department for four years. He was assigned as a school resource officer to Vista Ridge High School prior to transferring to Motors. As word got out about the accident, many students who were positively impacted by Officer Reed began to show up at the sight of the accident. The students considered Leonard as a mentor and, in some cases, a father figure. “You did so much for me and
I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t 4 U,” student Mike wrote on a poster left at the scene. Although Leonard was reassigned, he never forgot or abandoned the students. He kept in contact with them on a routine basis, giving advice and helping in one way or another. “Great Achievement is usually born of great sacrifice, and is never the result of selfishness.” – Napoleon Hill The 100 Club of Central Texas has assisted the family of Officer Reed by giving them a $10,000 check to help with immediate financial needs. The community has been very generous in making donations to the family through the 100 Club. 100% of your donations will go to the family of Officer Reed. Thank you for your continued support of our first responders and their families in time of need. A memorial to Officer Leonard Reed will be included in the next issue of The Responder.
“Ducati Austin sells the coolest
bikes, has the best customer
service, and supports our police and all first responders. Come see them at I-35 and Braker.
Tell ‘em I sent you.
— Senior Deputy C. Gray Travis County Sheriff’s Motor Unit
Ducati Austin • 6
www.DucatiAustin.com • 512.236.8822 www.100clubcentex.com
- 4 Passengers ride for the price of 1 - Serving the Greater Austin Area 24/7 - Credit Cards accepted in every vehicle - Corporate & Personal accounts available - Order service & estimate fares online - Computerized dispatch taxicab service with Global Positioning System ensures prompt response time
suPPort our First resPoNders! The 100 Club of Central Texas provides financial assistance and support to first responders who are seriously injured or killed in the line of duty. The club also provides resources to enhance first responder safety and welfare by providing life-protecting gear for law enforcement officers, fire fighters, and EMS personnel.
The 100 Club of Central Texas serves first responders in five counties including Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bastrop, and Caldwell. We invite you to join us in recognizing and standing by our first responders through a membership with the 100 Club of Central Texas with an annual or lifetime membership.
Full Name _____________________________________________ Home PH.___________________________ Co. Name (iF Bus. memBersHiP) ________________________________ Bus. PH. ____________________________ Home address_____________________________________ City, st _____________________ ZiP ________ email address ____________________________________________________________________________ iNdividual memBersHiP:
aNNual - $100
oNe-time liFe - $1,000
easy Pay liFe - 4 yrs. x $250/yr.
BasiC - $250
BroNZe - $750
silver - $1,500
Gold - $2,500
First resPoNders - see seParate First resPoNder aPPliCatioN doNatioN: ____$15 ____$35 ____$75 otHer______ to Be used For (iF restriCted) _____________________ metHod oF PaymeNt (CirCle oNe):
Card NumBer | exP. date ___________________________________ | _____________ Cvv Code __________ Name oN Card _________________________________ siGNature ___________________________________ tHe 100 CluB oF CeNtral texas is a 501(C)3 NoN-ProFit CorPoratioN; doNatioNs are tax-deduCtiBle as allowed By law. Individual Membership • 100 Club Member decal(s) for automobile window(s) • Subscription to the 100 Club quarterly newsletter Basic Business Membership (Annual) • One storefront decal • 100 Club Basic Business Member decal(s) for automobile window(s) • One-year subscription to the 100 Club quarterly newsletter • Recognition in the 100 Club newsletter Bronze Business Membership (Annual) • One storefront decal • A 5-inch desktop membership plaque for your lobby • 100 Club Bronze Business Member decal(s) for automobile window(s) • One-year subscription to the 100 Club quarterly newsletter • A quarter-page acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter
Silver Business Membership (Annual) • One storefront decal • A 7-inch desktop membership plaque for your lobby • 100 Club Silver Business Member decal(s) for automobile window(s) • One-year subscription to the 100 Club quarterly newsletter • A half-page acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter • Discounted sponsorship opportunities including Golf Tournament hole sponsorship discount Gold Business Membership (Annual) • One storefront decal • A 9-inch desktop membership plaque for your lobby • 100 Club Gold Business Member decal(s) for automobile window(s) • One-year subscription to the 100 Club quarterly newsletter • A full-page acknowledgement in the 100 Club newsletter • Discounted sponsorship opportunities including Golf Tournament hole sponsorship discount • Six tickets to the Annual Awards Banquet • Presence on 100 Club website and a link to your website
First resPoNders The 100 Club of Central Texas First Responder Benefits First Responder Non-Member
First Responder Life Member*
• The Survivor Benefit Fund helps families of first responders who are killed in the line of duty.
• The Critically Injured Program assists families of first responders who are critically injured in the line of duty and/or hospitalized for more than five days.
• The Life-protecting Equipment and Services Fund is for first responder agencies in our five-county area who are in need of life-protecting equipment. • The Dr. M. James Moritz Scholarship Fund offers first responders the opportunity to further their education at any accredited university. • K-9 Life-protecting Equipment provides protective vests for our first responder service canines. • The Animal Memorial Program provides K-9 and mounted patrol officers with proper burial services with full honors, similar to the services offered to our human officers.
Full Name _____________________________________________ Home PH. __________________________ emPloyed by ____________________________________________ bus. PH. ___________________________ Home address_____________________________________ City, st _____________________ ZiP ________ email address ____________________________________________________________________________ First resPoNder aNNual membersHiP (does Not qualiFy For First resPoNder exteNded beNeFits): First resPoNder liFe membersHiP: metHod oF PaymeNt (CirCle oNe):
Pay iN Full - $250 CHeCk
easy Pay - 10 moNtHs x $25/mo.
Card Number | exP. date ___________________________________ | _____________ CVV Code __________ Name oN Card _________________________________ sigNature ___________________________________
*The $100,000 Survivor Benefit for Life Members is distributed in tenmonthly payments to the dependents of the first responder. The restrictions and requirements set forth in the by-laws and policies of the 100 Club of Central Texas apply to all benefits for members and non-members and may be changed at any time with or without notice.
The 100 Club may not be able to meet the full survivor benefit amount in the event of a catastrophic occurrence resulting in a larger than usual loss of life. In the case of a catastrophic occurence, the 100 Club would make reasonable efforts to assist the dependents of the first responders.
M A I L
Hello 100 Club, After speaking with you yesterday, I just could not stop thinking about it. I would love to give every penny I have to these families. My heart goes out to them all. I would like to add $500 to my original donation. Still seems so small--but maybe it will help someone. Please feel free to put this toward any family in need. If it can stay in the Game Warden field, that would be great. Thanks again for all your help on the phone--you were so sweet!! God Bless, D. H. [This donor's generous donation sponsored life memberships for three first responders (game wardens). Thank YOU, Ms. H.]
Business Discount Program Members Note to All 100 Club Members: The companies advertising on this page are offering outstanding discounts only to 100 Club members. Simply show your membership card to receive the discount as stated in their particular ad. These companies believe in the mission of the 100 Club of Central Texas and support our first responder community. Please frequent their companies and show your appreciation. Thank you, The 100 Club
OLD TIMER CLOCK SHOP 1803 W 35th St., # B, Austin 512.451.5016 www.BobsClocks.com 5 watch batteries installed free per member per year
www.MesaHomeSystems.com 15% off MSRP
R&R Limosine & Bus 20% off a limousine, sedan, mini-bus, motor coach, or party bus Sunday through Thursday 10% off all orders [First Responders only]
www.RRLimoBus.com • 866-933-7591
Printing • Labels • Promotional Products Imaging & Mailing • Plastic Cards
Members get a
10% off your 1st order 9415 Burnet Road, Suite 108, Austin, TX 512-339-8633 | www.Select-Source.com
55-POINT NETWORK ASSESSMENT!
The 100 Club of Central Texas P. O. Box 10126 Austin, TX 78766
U. S. Postage PAID Permit No. 750 Austin, TX
The 100 Club of Central Texas leads the community in providing support for first responders and their families when tragedy strikes. The 100 Club of Central Texas is a 501(c)3 non-profit corporation; donations are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Benefit the 100 Club with Randalls’ Good Neighbor Program The next time you’re at Randalls, pick up a Remarkable Card application at the courtesy booth to fill out and link your card to our account. Randalls will pay us a percentage of our account total, so be sure to use your card everytime you shop. By using your card, you will also be eligible for exclusive discounts, giveaways, enter-to-wins, direct mail rewards, and air miles. Clip out the adjoining card with our account number as a reminder of our organization’s Good Neighbor Program and fill in on the Remarkable card application.
The 100 Club of Central Texas Headquarters • 3200 Steck Avenue, Suite 240 • Austin,TX 78757