Texas Architect November/December 2013: Campus Architecture
This issue explores the value of architectural diversity and creative responses to context. The discussion begins with a series on the three presidential libraries in Texas. Located on university campuses, the libraries all respond to their academic settings in unique ways. Connection is a driving element of the other projects presented — a business school, museum, student center and dining hall, and race track. All strive to tie their respective campuses closer together with individual design statements.
Essay Giesecke and Vosper at Texas A&M written by Nancy McCoy, FAIA photography by Thomas McConnell In the midst of the Great Depression, two architects transformed the campus of Texas A&M University with 10 new buildings in just five years. The resulting architectural legacy has received less attention than it deserves, particularly in comparison to the acclaimed campus of the schoolâ€™s rival, The University of Texas at Austin. The two universities were in fact founded together. In 1839, plans for a state university were originated by the Republic of Texas, but it was not until 1876 that land grants and an endowment finally facilitated the official opening of the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas in College Station. That same year, the legislature provided a second land grant of one million acres in West Texas, and in 1923, the state universities struck black gold as the Santa Rita oil well gushed. It took eight more years before UT Austin and Texas A&M finished negotiations that split the revenues 2:1 in favor of UT Austin. All of this set the stage for the 1930s expansion of the Texas A&M campus. Wunderkind Dr. Frederick E. Giesecke played a pivotal role in the development of both institutions as an educator and as an architect. Giesecke graduated first in his class from Texas A&M in 1886 and joined the faculty that same year, at the age of 17. He later studied at Cornell University and received a degree in architecture from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a PhD from the University of Illinois. He returned to Texas A&M in 1905 to develop the first architectural engineering curriculum in the state. In 1910, he designed the first campus plan and introduced classicism as the preferred style for campus buildings, replacing the earlier Victorian style, red brick structures. In 1912, he left for Austin to serve as the second head of the architectural engineering program at UT Working together, Giesecke and Vosper, along with Frederick Hensel, the chief planning and landscape advisor, transformed the Texas A&M campus. Austin, where he remained for 15 years. In 1927, with the oil revenue available for a building program on the campus of Texas A&M, Giesecke returned to College Station. In 1928, Samuel C. P. Vosper, who taught architecture with Giesecke in Austin, joined him at Texas A&M. Vosper studied architecture at 11/12 2013 Texas Architect 37