Texas Architect May/June 2013: Preservation
This issue on historic preservation illustrates themany facets of the field, including restoration,rehabilitation, and adaptive reuse.
Portfolio: Sacred Spaces St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church Contractor XXXX Consultants STRUCTURAL : Frank Neal and Associates; ROOF- ING: Nationwide Clay Tile and Sheetmetal; PAINTING, PLASTER- Project St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church, Lindsay ING, AND MASONRY: Darrell Mayo; ART : Lallier Art Restoration; Client Diocese of Fort Worth STAINED GLASS: Foster Stained Glass Studio Architect Arthur Weinman Architects Resources Design team Arthur Weinman, AIA; Trent Ulm WATERPROOFING: Firestone Building Products Company; CLAY TILE ROOFING: Ludowici Roof Tile; MEMBRANE Photographer Arthur Weinman, AIA ROOFING: Firestone Building Products Company; SEALANTS: Tremco Commercial Sealants & Waterproofing; PLASTER: United States Gypsum Company; CERAMIC FLOOR TILE: Ceramic Tile One of the largest buildings in Lindsay, St. Peter’s Church is a 1918 reconstruction of the town’s first brick chapel dedicated in 1903. The original building was ravaged by a tornado that left only remnants of the nave and tower intact. These remaining elements were incorporated into the 1918 design, and almost 100 years later, the 6,500-sf church was again in dire need of restoration. The poor condition of the roof had caused leaks that began in the eaves and penetrated all of the load-bearing brick walls, causing significant damage to both the interior and exterior. The architects engaged skilled craftsmen to help restore the building. To repair the roof, the clay tiles were removed so that the deteriorated wood decking could be replaced and sealed with a proper waterproofing membrane. The tiles were then put back and any damaged pieces were matched with Ludowici mission tiles. All of the brick was repaired and repointed as necessary. Stained-glass windows were also removed and carefully restored at a conservator’s shop. They were re-installed and then protected with new exterior clear glazing set in anodized aluminum frames with vents at the top and bottom. consisted of three-coat plaster adhered directly onto the brick walls. Loose and damaged plaster was repaired and restored as necessary. Numerous paintings by Swiss artist Friedolin Fuchs finished the plaster walls, ceilings, and beams. Experienced artists and conservators created stencils of the paintings and duplicated the original design on the fresh surface of the restored plaster. The church also contained 32 paintings on canvas. The canvases mounted with conventional wallpaper paste or other organic glue were easily removed and restored. Others were installed with a very potent 19th-century adhesive and could not be removed. After extensive research, the team successfully drilled into the plaster and injected a special adhesive, making removal of the canvases unnecessary. The final result is a stunning, fully restored, polychromatic interior. Company, UK; PAINTS: Sherwin-Williams Paint Company The interior ceilings and sidewalls SITE PLAN 1 ENTRY 2 TOWER 3 NAVE 4 TRANSEPT 5 APSE 6 SACRISTY 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 5/6 2013 Texas Architect 67