Issuu on Google+

Signal T “Rolling At Last” assemblage by Candy Butler See page 9 Vol. 35 No. 16 R I B U N E September 20, 2013 SERVING BIXBY KNOLLS, CALIFORNIA HEIGHTS, LOS CERRITOS, WRIGLEY AND THE CITY OF SIGNAL HILL Boeing to end production of C-17 Globemaster III in 2015 Your Weekly Community Newspaper Courtesy Boeing Sean Belk/Signal Tribune A nearly 14-acre site along Spring Street between California and Atlantic avenues that was owned by the former Signal Hill Redevelopment Agency will be sold to Signal Hill Petroleum, according to city officials. The site, located near Long Beach Memorial Medical Center, is slated for a mixed-use project, including a hotel, medical offices and retail, but it needs extensive environmental remediation. Signal Hill to sell off redevelopment properties at ‘fire sale’ prices, but oil-well cleanup required Sean Belk Staff Writer Considered some of the last remaining vacant land in a rather builtout community, nine sites totaling 24 acres in Signal Hill may soon be either sold to developers at historically low prices or transferred to the City for governmental use. As part of the State’s decision to shut down redevelopment, legislation requires that all real property and assets previously owned by redevelopment agencies be liquidated, with pro- ceeds from property sales dispersed between local taxing entities. Acting as the Successor Agency to the former Signal Hill Redevelopment Agency (RDA), the City Council unanimously approved its long-range property-management plan (PMP) at a meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 17, taking a critical step to dissolve former RDA properties. (Mayor Michael Noll and Councilmember Lori Woods were absent.) But, before any new development can break ground in Signal Hill, most of the properties still require millions of dollars worth of environmental remediation, mainly because of the City’s long history of oil extraction that dates back to the 1920s and 1930s. This factor dramatically decreases the value of the properties that total 129 parcels. In addition, newly appraised property values are still lower than they were when the sites were first appraised and purchased by the Signal Hill RDA between 2008 and 2011 since the real estate market has yet to fully recover, city officials noted. should be released no later than today, Sept. 20. Long Beach Elections Bureau Manager Poonam Davis said in a phone interview that the Los Angeles-based law firm Burke, Williams & Sorensen is providing a ruling in consultation with the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) to be shared with candidates and their treasurers. A city memo by Assistant City Attorney Michael Mais sent to City Clerk Larry Herrera on Sept. 6 states that, even though campaign finance law was addressed through legal proceedings more than a decade ago, the City has received inquiries from “several parties” regarding the ability of candidates to transfer over campaign funds in the upcoming election. Currently, the Long Beach Campaign Reform Act that was passed by voters as Measure M in 1994 prohibits the use of contributions outside of an election cycle in which a candidate is running. “No candidate or officeholder or the controlled committee of such a person shall accept any contribution except during an election cycle in which the candidate or officeholder intends to Long Beach candidates await legal opinion on right to use leftover campaign funds Sean Belk Staff Writer Candidates running for Long Beach city offices in the 2014 election will soon learn whether it’s legal for them to tap into funds they banked during past city or state campaigns. Some candidates recently brought up the issue and requested that the city attorney’s office look into the matter. Since Acting City Attorney Charles Parkin is running for city attorney in next year’s election, he has requested that a third-party law firm issue a legal opinion on the query. City officials said the opinion Weekly Weather Forecast Friday Saturday Sunday see COUNCIL page 14 September 20 through September 24, 2013 Monday see CAMPAIGN page 15 Boeing announced Wednesday it will complete production of the C-17 Globemaster III then close the aircraft’s final assembly facility in Long Beach in two years. The company will continue after-delivery support of the worldwide C-17 fleet as part of the Globemaster III Integrated Sustainment Program Performance-Based Logistics agreement. Boeing will end its production of the C-17 Globemaster III and close the C-17 assembly facility in Long Beach in 2015, the aerospace company announced on Wednesday, Sept. 18. “Ending C-17 production was a very difficult but necessary decision,” said Dennis Muilenburg, president and chief executive officer of Boeing Defense, Space & Security. “We want to thank the highly skilled and talented employees who have built this great airlifter for more than two decades– and those who will help us as we continue to build the remaining 22 aircraft and support and modernize the global fleet for decades to come. The C-17 remains the world’s most capable airlifter with unmatched readiness and cost-effectiveness.” Boeing will continue after-delivery support of the worldwide C-17 fleet as part of the C-17 Globemaster III Integrated Sustainment Program (GISP) Performance-Based Logistics agreement. The GISP “virtual fleet” arrangement provides the highest airlift mission-capable rate at one of the lowest costs per flying hour, according to Boeing. “Our customers around the world face very tough budget environments,” Muilenburg said. “While the desire for the C-17’s capabilities is high, budgets cannot support additional purchases in the timing required to keep the production line open. What’s more, here in the United States the sequestration situation has created significant planning difficulties for our customers and the entire aerospace industry. Such uncertainty forces difficult decisions like this C-17 line closure. We will continue to make tough but necessary decisions to drive affordability and preserve our ability to invest for the future.” Boeing expects a charge of less than $100 million, which will be recorded this quarter, as a result of this announcement. The charge will not impact financial guidance for the year, according to Boeing. Nearly 3,000 employees support the C-17 production program in Long Beach; Macon, Ga.; Mesa, Ariz. and St. Louis. Workforce reductions will begin in early 2014 and continue through closure. Boeing will provide employee assistance including jobsearch resources, financial counseling, retirement seminars and help locating potential jobs within and outside of the company, the company stated in its press release. “We recognize how closing the C-17 line will affect the lives of the men and women who work here, and we will do everything possible to assist our employees, their families and our community,” said Nan Bouchard, vice president and C-17 program manager. Additionally, the C-17 industrial team includes more than 650 suppliers in 44 states. Boeing and its suppliers provide 20,000 jobs in support of C-17 production. Since the first flight on Sept. 15, 1991, the C-17 has amassed more than 2.6 million flying hours supporting airlift of troops and large cargo, precision airdrop of humanitarian supplies and lifesaving aeromedical missions. Boeing has delivered 257 C-17s, including 223 to the U.S. Air Force, and a total of see BOEING page 6 Tuesday 80° 79° 75° 78° 86° This week’s Weekly Weather Forecast sponsored by: Low clouds, then sun Low clouds, then sunshine Low clouds, then sun Mostly sunny Sunny and warm Lo 60° Lo 61° Lo 61° Lo 61° Lo 60° Saturday Saturday - September 21 5pm to 10pm downtownlongbeac wnlongbeac

St3516 september 20 layout 1

Related publications