Issuu on Google+

Serving Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Anmore and Belcarra since 1984 FRIDAY December 16, 2011 CHECK OUT OUR 41 The Coquitlam Express enter the Christmas break looking to hold down a playoff spot. STARTING ON PAGE 19 Your source for local news, sports, opinion and entertainment: Seniors’ singalongs stopped Liquor inspector says no clapping or singing along at Port Moody restaurant Jennifer McFee Photo by Shane MacKichan The Coquitlam bus loop was shut down for the Thursday morning rush while police investigated the stabbing of a 19-year-old man from Maple Ridge. Visit to see more photos of the investigation. Stabbing shuts down bus loop Jennifer McFee A 19-year-old man is in critical condition after a stabbing in Coquitlam early Thursday morning. On Dec. 15 at 12:26 a.m., police were called to the Coquitlam bus loop at the corner of Barnet and Lougheed highways for a man who had been stabbed. A Maple Ridge man was taken to Royal Columbian Hospital. Coquitlam RCMP Cpl. Jamie Chung could not confirm if the incident occurred on a bus. “What I can say is we are going through a couple of buses looking for evidence,” he said Thursday. Although police have a suspect description, they would not provide details. “We are not going to disclose it for the time being because we are actively pursuing a suspect,” Chung said. “I believe the suspect fled the scene on foot. We don’t know a motive and we don’t believe it’s gangrelated.” The Coquitlam bus loop and the Pinetree Village Mall parking lot were blocked off for investigation until midday Thursday. This is the first incident of the year in that area, Chung added. “Other than what happened this morning, there has been no serious assault at the Coquitlam bus loop since the first day of this year up to yesterday,” he said. “The bus loop is a relatively safe place to be.” Coquitlam RCMP’s major crime unit and forensic identification section are investigating. Witnesses are asked to call police at 604-945-1550. Anonymous information can be provided to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or The cod kissing has got to stop. Not to mention the seniors’ singalongs. And don’t even think about making a speech. All of these activities were part of the charm at Joe’s Atlantic Grill, but for now, they’re not allowed. Peter MacDonald appealed to Port Moody city council Tuesday night on behalf of the restaurant after receiving a visit from a Liquor Control and Licensing Branch (LCLB) representative. “A liquor inspector came into my establishment. I had a seniors’ singalong planned, and he said I wasn’t allowed to do that because although I’m allowed to have music, I’m allowed to have bands, you can’t clap or sing along,” said MacDonald, who had to ask the seniors to stop singing. “I do a lot of charity. I do a lot of stuff with SHARE. And he said you can do stuff with SHARE, but if you have anybody come in like a council member or anybody who’s giving an award, they can’t do speeches. They can give the award but they can’t talk.” The reason for the restrictions, he said, is because he has a food primary licence. To continue hosting interactive activities at the 40-seat restaurant, he must request a change to his liquor licence to allow for patron participation entertainment. “I also do a night where it’s about becoming a Newfoundlander … and in order to become an honourary Newfoundlander, you have to kiss a cod,” said MacDonald, who named the St. Johns Street restaurant after his father. “So he said we wouldn’t be able to kiss a cod.” Before the LCLB makes a permanent change to a liquor licence, municipal government must provide comments on the application. MacDonald had until yesterday (Thursday) to Paul vanPeenen/NOW David Saqui of The Skoundrels, the house band at Joe’s Atlantic Grill in Port Moody, won’t be able to lead seniors in singalongs, after the restaurant was told not to allow patrons to sing because it does not have the appropriate liquor licence. local government support is provide the information. needed only if the restaurant Council agreed to endorse the wants to serve liquor after midapplication for additional patron night or to offer certain types of participation, noting that noise entertainment,” a representative and community impacts were wrote in an e-mail. not a concern. Applying for a food primary Coun. Gerry Nuttall offered licence and his support as then operating chair of the as a bar can city’s arts and “I had a seniors’ have negative culture commitimpacts on the tee. singalong planned he “This type and he said I wasn’t community, added. of activity that allowed to do that.” “Restaurants you’re trying must apply for to promote is an endorsement exactly what that allows we’re trying to for entertainget into the city Peter MacDonald ment that — businesses Joe’s Atlantic Grill involves patron that provide participation entertainment,” because of the Nuttall said. potential noise complaints and “I’m actually quite surprised the increased risk that the estabthat you’re even having to be lishment will operate like a bar here tonight with some of the — not things considered in the things you’re telling us.” initial licensing of a restaurant,” According to the LCLB, the noted the LCLB. primary purpose of a licensed “Activities that are not restaurant must always be the allowed in a restaurant include service of food. games that require the patron “With a food primary licence, How is your child doing in school? 604.941.9166 | COQUITLAM READING, MATH, WRITING, STUDY SKILLS AND MORE! to get up from the food service area — such as darts or pool, games of chance which include payouts, tournaments, liquor manufacturer/agent theme nights, live on-premises prize fighting or kickboxing, exotic dancers, adult-oriented performers and adult-oriented activities and other similar activities which are not suitable for minors.” The LCLB will do a final review after the city sends a copy of its resolution. Then it will notify the restaurant of the decision by letter — a process that usually takes two to six weeks. “Once the establishment receives an approval letter from the LCLB,” the e-mail stated, “they may begin hosting entertainment immediately.” Mayor Mike Clay confirmed Tuesday that council would support MacDonald’s efforts. “We will be forwarding our comments on to the liquor control branch in favour of your application,” Clay said.

Coquitlam Now December 16 2011

Related publications