Issuu on Google+

Proudly Serving Prince edwArd county Since 1830 The Picton Gazette THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 5, 2013 VOLUME 1 8 3 , N O . 3 6 inSide thiS week Clubhouse sustains $200,000 in fire damage Golf club staff discover smoke upon opening Monday morning JASonPArkS Staff writer BEGINNING recreation Outreach Centre moves its fun downtown PAge 2 BOILING ameliasburgh water users receive health advisory PAge 5 BUILDING Pirates hoping good habits carry over from early wins PAge 18 The clubhouse at the Picton Golf and Country Club will be closed for the foreseeable future due to a fire that occurred in the early morning hours on Monday. It's believed a bolt of lightning struck the clubhouse sometime between midnight and 2 a.m, Monday, Sept. 2 and started a smouldering electrical fire in the wall of the clubhouse adjacent to the kitchen. When staff went to open the clubhouse at about 6:30 a.m. Monday morning, they were greeted by billowing smoke. Shutting the door and retreating to a safe distance, staff contacted the Prince Edward County fire department who arrived short time later and made quick work of the blaze that completely destroyed the kitchen but left the building standing. Club president Dave Mackay said the investigation was still ongoing but officials at the scene have indicated they believe it's due to a lightning strike. “It's likely, that's the pejorative term at this point,” Mackay told the the Gazette Tuesday morning. “It's hard to be totally definitive but the electricians fire officials that have looked at told us that's what it looks like.” Mackay said the club had a two-step fire alarm system that was completely knocked out and “fried” fire dAmAge Picton Golf and Country Club Members stand outside the clubhouse Tuesday morning while cleanup was under way due to a fire believed to have started because of a lightning strike. The fire destroyed the kitchen and has forced the closure of the clubhouse for the foreseeable future. (Jason Parks/Gazette staff) in Monday morning's storm. Form there, it appears as a fire started to smoulder and slowly burn throughout the night until it was discovered by the club’s staff. Mackay and club executives were meeting with insurance adjusters this week but the preliminary report is the blaze caused upwards of $200,000 damage. “The whole kitchen was totally destroyed and there's water and smoke damage to 75 per cent of the building,” Mackay said. The clubhouse closing prior to the usual shutdown date at the end of October means six weddings that were planned for the clubhouse restaurant and dining lounge will have to be moved elsewhere. “We feel extremely terrible about those bookings but the good news is a number of the rental halls and other venues have already been in contact with us to provide an option for these wed- Labour Day weekend show now a community event Staff writer SectionS CaNaDa’S OLDeSt COMMUNitY NewSPaPer ShAring her crAft Guest artist Kathryn Fellows, left, shares her work with potential customers at Nadine Goulet’s studio near Rossmore, one of 15 stops along the 2013 studio tour.. (Adam Bramburger/Gazette staff) P U L L - O U T R E A L It was billed as one-stop shopping for art lovers this weekend along Rednesrville Road and a rainy overcast Saturday provided a strong start for the art tour. Just a few hours into the tour Kathryn Fellows and Dona Knudsen had already counted 125 visitors at the door of mixed media artist Nadine Goulet’s studio near Rossmore and they had even sent a few people down the road in search of an ATM machine with the goal of WE’VE ALWAYS SHARED OUR PASSION ENDS SEPTEMBER 30THUp To PRINZEN FORD club is grateful to the fast actions of the Prince Edward County Fire Department who arrived on scene within ten minutes of the call Monday morning and stayed on until the blaze was completely extinguished. “We really appreciate the fast action of the fire department, it could have been a terrible loss and we could have lost the entire building, he said. Thankfully, there were no injuries as a result of the blaze. Rednersville Road artists open studio doors for sixth tour AdAm BrAmBurger Looking back.......6 Weather.............6 Editorials.............7 Letters....................8 Sports....................18 Classifieds.............21 Puzzles.................26 dings,” Mackay said. With the end of the golfing season right around the corner, the timing of the fire and subsequent clubhouse shutdown could have been catastrophic for the club had this fire occurred in May. In spite of the fire, the course will remain open and Mackay said Monday was one of their busiest days of the year in terms of local and visiting duffers making their way around the local track. The president added the It’s Back!!! $1000 Costco See Back Page 50 Main Street Bloomfield 613.393-3318 E S TAT E Carol Brough selling some of their watercolour paintings. The studio has been one of the mainstays on the sixyear-old tour which popped up in response to a limiting of artists along the road in the main Prince Edward County studio tour. “We decided to do our own,” said Knudsen. “The nice thing is it’s all on the one stretch of road, so you don’t have to run too far. You can spend more of your time in the galleries and less in the car.” Knudsen said she has her own home and studio S E C T I O N further down the road, but she elects to work with Goulet and Fellows as she paints with them regularly and the team approach allows all three artists a better opportunity to visit with guests and take a break from the traffic. Knudsen said being involved in the tour has allowed many artists to meet and share their passion for their crafts with others along the road, which has been a rewarding outlet for many. See TOUR, page 9 I N S I D E ! Sales Representative Master’s Diamond Club Lanthorn Real Estate Ltd. Brokerage 102 Main Street, Picton Business 613-476-2100 Res 613-476-8039 E-mail We protect you from the things you can’t control. Picton 613.476.2776 - Wellington 613.399.3620

Picton Gazette Sept 5 2013

Related publications