Issuu on Google+

 Esubscribe to veteran news and benefit info >>  ODVA blog >> fb Follow ODVA >> VETS NEWS Published by the Oregon Department of Veterans’ Affairs w i nte r 2 0 1 4 The Spirit of Community for Those Who Served Photo courtesy of oregon state archives. keeping the promise An act of the state legislature in 1893 created the state’s first official Oregon State Old Soldiers’ Home on what is now the VA Roseburg Medical Center campus. Our nation's promise to care for veterans can be traced back to the passing of the first pension law in America. In 1636, the Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony “enacted in their court that any man who should be sent forth as a solider and return maimed should be maintained competently by the colony during his life.” This spirit of this law was later retained when the Massachusetts Bay and Plymouth colonies formed a union in 1691, upon which they continued to expand the policy by providing pensions for widows and dependent orphans. Eighty-five years later, the first federal disability compensation program in the United States was provided to the veterans of the Revolutionary War. From the onset, the Continental Congress was inundated with claims for relief and in 1776 that relief was ratified, becoming what is known as the Military Pension Law. This promise continued to build and after the Civil War, many state veterans homes were established to meet the needs of aging service members. In 1893 in Oregon the state legislature passed a law “to provide a home for honorably discharged Soldiers, Sailors and Marines who had served in any of the wars in which the United States was engaged, or who served in the Indian Wars of Oregon, Washington or Idaho, provided they were or might become citizens of Oregon” was passed. This act created the state’s first official Oregon State Old Soldiers’ Home on what is now the VA Roseburg Medical Center campus. Across the state other communities were also contributing to the care of its veterans. In Portland, during the late-1800s, the “Corson” house on East Taylor Street, stood in what was then the exclusive Mt. Tabor area. This home became a place of refuge and care for old soldiers who remained from the wars past. It was operated by Mr. George Lucke and his family. As a sign see keeping the promise - page 6 INSIDE THIS ISSUE county vso's receive state grant funds Oregon Legislature funded a new grant program to increase outreach to veterans statewide. PG 3 wounded warriors inspire ducks Wounded Warriors inspired Oregon football players at the Brooke Army Medical Center near San Antonio during a visit before game day. PG 9 oregon moh recipient honored by usps Oregon Medal of Honor recipient Bob Maxwell was honored by the US Postal Service when the agency issued Medal of Honor stamp folios featuring MOH recipients. PG 10

Vetsnews Feb 2014 online

Related publications