Issuu on Google+

GOOD INWARDS SITE SURVEY LOCATION: 34-36 SOUTHWARK STREET POSTCODE: SE1 1TU BOROUGH: SOUTHWARK LANDOWNER: STERLING DEVELOPMENTS (LONDON) LTD Southwark used to be one of London’s major industrial centres with large-scale industry production in the field of engineering, rope-making, manufacturing, cotton milling, food-processing and clothing. It was a centre for iron founding, wire making, glass making, and many other heavy industries. Now notorious for its food market and vibrant creative culture, such industries have become lost. Elements of its past are evident through street names, odd street numbering, geographics and conserved architecture. Home to Europe’s largest leather industry in the 1700s the clothing industry continued to thrive throughout the 1800s. Christie’s of Bermondsey successfully manufactured hats, including the fashionable Victorian beaver hat, supplying product for varied clients. The flag warehouse could be found on Tanner Street, wool-stapling helped supply wool to weaving countries and rope / sail-cloth making was also popular. Southwark lived in the shadow of The City of London by the river, and provided the support necessary to maintain the capital’s metropolitan way of life. Southwark Street primarily consists of Victorian buildings with densely articulated façades that range from three to six storeys in height. The street maintains a consistent building line that carves a prominent street frontage but the traditional shop fronts have certainly been altered over the last century. The site is situated in the borough of Southwark; Tate Modern art gallery can be found North West, trendy Tooley Street is North East and Borough food market is East. 2 1 3 The building lies within the Borough High Street Conservation area and is just beside the Waterloo - London Bridge railway line. Located at the junction of Southwark Street and Redcross Way it is close to both London Bridge (0.3 miles) and Borough (0.4 miles) tube stations. 34 – 36 Southwark Street is a derelict Victorian public house, dated approximately to the 1860s, occupying a corner site measuring approx 0.036 acres. It’s architectural style is typical to the corner buildings of local conservation areas; with facade features designed to exploit the architectural potential of such a location dictinctively with it’s corner entrance door and prominent central window. The building’s roof, and much of it’s internal structure, was lost due to fire damage and the remaining structure is supported by modern scaffolding, needed to sustain it’s stability. Uninhabited since this damage, the property went to public auction in December 2009 but did not reach its reserve, consequentially remaining vacant. The most curious feature of this building is the boldly white lettered sign ‘GOODS INWARDS’ which remains prominent on the Southwark Street façade. The commercial landowner is Sterling Developments Ltd. 5 Location Map 1. Site Plan. Scale 1:1000 6 2. Redcross Street. Looking North Toward Site 3. Southwark Street. Looking East Toward Site. 4. Redcross Street. Looking South Toward Site. 5. Southwark Street. Looking West Toward Site. 6. Contextual Moodboard. Showing (left to right) 34-36 Southwark Street In 1895. Engineer’s Stores And Oil Merchants - W.H.Willcox & Co. Advert. Bermondsey Wireworks Building In 2011. Original Photograph Of ‘Rope Walk’, Rotherhithe, Dated 1908. Leather Sample. Wool Sample. Rope Sample. 4

2011 Forgotten Spaces Entry

Related publications