Issuu on Google+

IO N CR IP T SU BS SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 30, 2012 Pope’s butler goes on trial in ‘Vatileaks’ scandal 150 FILS 37 20 Bahraini teen killed in clash with police 40 PAGES NO: 15584 Lee breaks every rule in new ‘Life of Pi’ film Bale stars as Spurs shock United 10 THULQADA 14, 1433 AH Saudi teenager dies of wounds after police raid DUBAI/RIYADH: Bahraini riot police killed a teenager when they fired shotgun pellets during clashes with protesters following a demonstration on Friday, the country’s opposition said yesterday, the second young protester to die in six weeks. Security forces opened fire yesterday to disperse angry Shiite protesters following the funeral of the youth. Several protesters were wounded as police fired shotguns, as well as stun grenades, to disperse protesters after thousands of mourners took part in the funeral of 17-year-old Ali Hussein Nemat in the village of Sadad, outside Manama, witnesses said. Images posted online by Al-Wefaq Shiite opposition showed thousands of men and black-clad women marching behind the coffin of the teenage boy. Thousands rallied on Friday in an officially authorised protest called by the main opposition group Al-Wefaq, but as the event ended around 100 demonstrators clashed with police. Witnesses on Friday said riot police used tear gas and stun grenades to disperse those demonstrators, who, the authorities said, were throwing petrol bombs and wielding iron bars. The police described the incident after the protest as a “terrorist attack” on a security patrol that “targeted the lives of members of the patrol” late on Friday evening. The police had defended themselves “according to their legal authority”, a statement said, confirming one of the protesters had died. Bahrain, headquarters of the US Navy’s Fifth Fleet, has been in turmoil since mass demonstrations started at the height of Arab Spring unrest last year, led by its Shiite majority. The protests were put down by the Sunni monarchy which imposed martial law and invited Saudi Arabia to send troops in support. Continued on Page 13 US pushes Gulf over missile defense plans NEW YORK: The United States is pushing Gulf countries to develop missile defense plans, amid what they see is a rising threat from Iran, US officials said Friday. “It’s the United States’ goal, to encourage the GCC countries to develop this missile defense architecture, because... to truly protect the region by missile defense, it requires a regional approach,” a senior US official said ahead of talks with the sixnation Gulf Cooperation Council. “To be able to defend against a missile in your territory often requires radars and other types of capabilities outside your territory.” Defense Secretary Leon Panetta had been due to attend the New York talks alongside US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton held on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly, but bad weather forced him to abandon his travel plans. The US official said Washington has already expressions of interest from some of the Gulf nations in developing missile defense capabilities and they hoped to have some announcements of contracts in the coming months. The discussions are taking place within the framework of a new strategic cooperation forum set up in March, which has also led to the first joint Continued on Page 13 Max 39º Min 24º High Tide 11:46 Low Tide 05:34 & 17:44 SADAD, Bahrain: The casket carrying Ali Hussein Nemat, 17, who was shot dead by riot police late Friday, is accompanied by his father, Hussein, seated holding a picture of his son on the front of the vehicle, and his younger brothers, crying beside the father and seated second left on vehicle, during a politically charged funeral procession attended by thousands in this western village yesterday. (Inset) Bahraini women sit on the street and mourn the youth’s killing during an anti-government protest early yesterday. — AP Last Western detainee at Gitmo returns to Canada Shabab rebels abandon last urban bastion AUVERS-SUR-OISE, France: President of the National Council of Resistance of Iran and Mujahedeen-e-Khalq (MEK) Maryam Radjavi flashes the victory sign upon her arrival to take part in a rally yesterday. — AFP Iran condemns US for delisting MEK TEHRAN: Iran condemned yesterday the Obama administration for taking an Iranian militant group formerly allied with Saddam Hussein off the US terrorism list, saying it shows Washington’s “double standards”. The Mujahedeen-eKhalq (MEK), which began as a guerrilla movement fighting Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, helped overthrow the monarch in 1979 then quickly fell out with the Islamic Republic’s first leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini. It fought in the 1980s alongside Saddam’s forces in the eight-year Iran-Iraq war but disarmed after the US invasion of Iraq in 2003. The State Department delisted the group on Friday, meaning that any assets the MEK has in the United States are unblocked and Americans can do business with the organization. Iranian State TV criticized the decision, saying that the Continued on Page 13 MOGADISHU: Al-Qaeda-linked Shabab fighters yesterday abandoned their last bastion in Somalia, retreating from the port city of Kismayo almost a year after Kenya sent troops against the Islamists. The withdrawal from the southern city that has been a key economic lifeline for the insurgents came a day after African Union troops launched a major assault to finally dislodge the rebels. “The military command of Shabab mujahedeen ordered a tactical retreat at midnight” from Ali Mohamud Rage Kismayo, Shabab spokesman Ali Mohamud Rage told AFP. Shabab also used Twitter to announce the news it was leaving Kismayo. “Last night, after more than 5 years the Islamic administration in Kismayo closed its office,” the tweet said. Continued on Page 13 TORONTO: The last Western detainee held at the Guantanamo Bay US military prison has returned to Canada after a decade in custody and has been transferred to a maximum security prison in Canada where he awaits parole, Canada’s public safety minister said yesterday. Vic Toews said that 26-year-old Omar Khadr arrived at a Canadian military base on a US government plane early yesterday and was transferred to the Millhaven maximum security prison in Bath, Ontario. Khadr pleaded guilty in 2010 to killing a US soldier in Afghanistan and was eligible to return to Canada from Guantanamo Bay last October under terms of a plea deal. Khadr was 15 when he was captured in 2002 in Afghanistan, and has spent a decade at the Guantanamo prison set up on the US naval base in Cuba to hold suspected terrorists after the Sept 11, 2001 attacks. He received an eight-year sentence in 2010 after being convicted of throwing a grenade that killed Army Sgt 1st Class Christopher Speer during a 2002 firefight . Toews noted that the US government initiated the transfer and suggested that Canada had little choice but to accept him under Canadian law. “Omar Khadr is a known supporter of the Al-Qaeda terrorist network and a convicted terrorist,” Toews said. “Omar Khadr was born in Omar Khadr Canada and is a Canadian citizen. As a Canadian citizen, he has a right to enter Canada after the completion of his sentence.” John Norris, Khadr’s Canadian lawyer, has said Khadr would be eligible for parole as early as the spring of 2013. It will be up to Canada’s national parole board to release him, Toews said. “I am satisfied the Correctional Service of Canada can administer Omar Khadr’s sentence in a manner which recognizes the serious nature of the crimes that he Continued on Page 13 in the news US carjacker shoots himself live on TV WASHINGTON: A high-speed chase turned ugly for Fox News on Friday when it televised - live - a fleeing carjacking suspect shooting himself in the head in the Arizona desert. Twitter exploded in reaction to the real-time broadcasting flub, while video of the graphic incident briefly found its way onto YouTube, as a badly shaken senior Fox News anchorman apologized profusely. The Fox affiliate in Phoenix said police had pursued the carjacking suspect at speeds of up to 175 km per hour for more than an hour, mostly on westbound Interstate 10. From the expressway, the red Dodge Caliber hatchback veered onto dusty back roads in the vicinity of Salome, a town west of Phoenix. The driver, wearing an American football jersey, was then seen abandoning the car and fleeing on foot, with no police officers visible in the tightly framed aerial shot. (See Page 9) Flight in emergency landing in Nigeria Former NYT publisher Sulzberger dead at 86 LAGOS: A Qatar Airways flight from Doha safely made an emergency landing in Nigeria’s economic capital Lagos yesterday after encountering a problem with one of its tyres, the civil aviation body said. “The plane has landed safely,” said Harold Demuren, the head of Nigeria’s Civil Aviation Authority. “We lost one of the tyres.” The aircraft landed at the cargo terminal of Murtala Mohammed International Airport and was then towed to an area where passengers were able to disembark. Qatar Airways flight QR592 was travelling the regular Doha-Lagos route and reported the tyre problem to Nigerian airport authorities, said Demuren, who identified the aircraft as an Airbus A330. He said no passengers were injured during the emergency landing and that one of the plane’s tyres had to be replaced. A mechanic at the airport said one of the plane’s left tyres was flat. Three passengers who were on board told AFP that the crew had made no announcements about a mechanical problem during the flight. NEW YORK: Former New York Times publisher and CEO Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, a driving force in the evolution of one of the most prestigious US media outlets, died yesterday, his newspaper reported. He was 86. Sulzberger died at his home in Southampton, New York after a long illness, the Times reported, without specifying the cause of death. Sulzberger oversaw the Times’ transformation from a tightly-controlled family operation - his grandfather had bought the daily in 1896 - to the nucleus of a news powerhouse that now includes magazines, TV and radio stations and online operations. Sulzberger served with the paper for 34 years, as publisher of the paper and Sulzberger chairman and chief executive officer of its parent company. US President Barack Obama said in a statement that he and his wife Michelle were “saddened” to hear of Sulzberger’s death. Qatar worried about value of dollar, euro RIYADH: Wealthy Qatar, a major investor in US and European assets, worries that haphazard attempts by countries to shore up their economies could weaken the dollar and the euro, its prime minister said. “What should happen is we should have a full package with a full strategy to solve the problems,” Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al-Thani, who also heads the country ’s sovereign wealth fund, Qatar Investment Authority (QIA), told US financial broadcaster CNBC in an interview aired on Friday. Sheikh Hamad said the central banks were right to act to prevent worse crises, but added: “With more printing money, without having a strategy, I believe the value of the money will go down very soon.” However, Sheikh Hamad added that Qatar would retain holdings of strategic stocks and buy when prices dropped, and that it would continue to make new investments in promising assets.

30th Sep

Related publications