Churches of Northern Wisconsin and the Western U.P.
10 u Worship With Us 2013 Church of the Transfiguration - Episcopal 336 East Aurora Street Ironwood, MI 49938 906-932-4395 Pastors: Rev. Manuel Padilla - regional missioner Rev. Gil Kangas Rev. Geri Sola Worship Services Sundays: 10:00 a.m. Fellowship: Following Sunday Service Bible Study: 2nd and 4th Thursdays, 1:30 p.m. In the fall of 1888, seven years after Al Norrie sank the first mine shaft in Gogebic County and one year before Ironwood was incorporated, some women of Ironwood formed The Episcopal Ladies Society. In the spring of 1889 the Mission of St. Paul was organized and services were held in rented rooms. A rector was called and plans made to secure a building. Two lots on the corner of Aurora and Marquette Streets were purchased and a building moved to the site. On Easter Day 1890 members attended the first service in the new St. Paulâ€™s Mission. Mr. Al Norrie promised the Episcopal Ladies Society a donation of $1,000 towards the building of a stone church and a fund drive began. All materials and labor for the building were secured locally with trap rock quarried north of Ironwood and wood from The Montreal Lumber Company. On July 7, 1896 the cornerstone was laid and the following year the building was completed at a cost of $8,000. At the service of consecration the name was changed to The Church of the Transfiguration. Through the years many changes have improved the church property which include an electric pipe organ 1925, a memorial rose window in stained glass in 1937, as well as other stained glass windows. The young church was included in the missionary jurisdiction of The Diocese of Northern Michigan which was constituted in 1892. We follow a Mutual Ministry set forth by the diocese in which the members of Transfiguration in 1995 went through a process of selection and called a group from the membership to go through a 3 year training by our regional missioner and the Diocese. At the end of that training the group called from itself 2 priests, 2 deacons, 2 lay readers as well as other support roles. It is a ministry of the people, by the people. This ministry support was commissioned and the priests ordained on May 31, 1998 by Bishop Thomas Ray of the Diocese of Northern Michigan. Our Regional Missioner, who travels the extreme Western Upper Peninsula, rotates visits with 7 congregations and leads bible study at Transfiguration twice a month on the second and forth Thursdays at 1:30. Communion Services are offered at least twice a month alternating with morning prayer.