Chapter P of the Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky
The Encylopedia of Northern Kentucky in partnership with NKY.com. Edited by Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool, The University Press of Kentucky. Republished for the World Wide Web by NKY.com and Enquirer Media. A Project of the Thomas D. Clark Foundation, Inc.
Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky in partnership with NKY.com Introduction | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | Y | Z | Index The Enquirer/Leigh Patton POMPILIO'S RESTAURANT. Since 1902, the building at the southwest corner of Sixth and Washington in Newport has housed a bar and restaurant... (cont'd on pg. 722) P The Encyclopedia of Northern Kentucky Contents Introduction, Foreword, Acknowledgments and Guide for Readers Chapters: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, Y, Z Index, Bibliography, Illustration Credits Edited by Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool THE UNIVERSITY PRESS OF KENTUCKY Republished for the World Wide Web by NKY.com and Enquirer Media A Project of the Thomas D. Clark Foundation, Inc. Mark A. Neikirk, President Sherry Jelsma, Vice President Dave Adkisson, Treasurer Melanie J. Kilpatrick, Secretary Thomas R. Brumley, Immediate Past President Michael J. Hammons, Past President Board of Directors Michael J. Hammons, Park Hills Sherry Jelsma, Shelbyville Martha C. Johnson, Melbourne Mark A. Neikirk, Highland Heights Alice Stevens Sparks, Crescent Springs Dave Adkisson, Frankfort Jane Beshear, Frankfort Thomas R. Brumley, Lexington John S. Carroll, Lexington Sara W. Combs, Stanton Robert Ted Steinbock, Louisville Mrya Leigh Tobin, New York City James M. Wiseman, Erlanger Editorial Staff Editors in Chief: Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool Associate Editors: David Hatter, John Schlipp, David E. Schroeder, Robert Stevie, Michael R. Sweeney, John W. Thieret (deceased), Thomas S. Ward, Jack Wessling Topical Editors: Agriculture: Lynn David & James Wallace; Art: Rebecca Bilbo; Biography: Michael R. Sweeney; Business & Commerce: John Boh; Counties & Towns: David E. Schroeder; Ethnology: Theodore H. H. Harris; Government, Law, & Politics: John Schlipp; Literature: Danny Miller (Deceased); Medicine: Dennis B. Worthen; Military: James A. Ramage; Music, Media, & Entertainment: John Schlipp; Religion: Thomas S. Ward & Alex Hyrcza; Sports & Recreation: James C. Claypool; Transportation Joseph F. Gastright (Deceased); Women: Karen Mcdaniel. Maps: Jeff Levy at the Gyula Pauer Center for Cartography & GIS, University of Kentucky. Copyright � 2009 by The University Press of Kentucky, 663 South Limestone Street, Lexington, KY 40508-4008 www.kentuckypress.com. Print editions: Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data The Encyclopedia of northern Kentucky / edited by Paul A. Tenkotte and James C. Claypool. p. cm. ISBN 978-0-8131-2565-7 (hardcover : acid-free paper) ISBN 978-0-8131-2585-5 (limited leather edition) 1. Kentucky, Northern-- Encyclopedias. 2. Kentucky-- Encyclopedias. I. Tenkotte, Paul A. II. Claypool, James C. F451.E55 2009 976.9'3003--dc22 2009027969 PAINT LICK. The old Louisville Rd. heading west from Boone Co., now U.S. 42, traverses a small piece of higher ground between Paint Lick Creek, Little Sugar Creek, and the Ohio River in eastern Gallatin Co. In fall 1861 this narrow neck of land was the scene of a Civil War skirmish; also, the Paint Lick Baptist Church was established nearby. Just before the war, James Alexander, Ralph Bright, Conrad Denzler, John Hudson, James H. Jackson, Charles Rider, Elsberry Seaver, and the L. B. and Henry Sisson families inhabited the land around Paint Lick Creek. As the events of the Civil War unfolded, these families established a Baptist congregation that apparently met during the war. In February 1866 this congregation purchased two acres of land on the Ohio River from Levi and Elizabeth Jackson for $200, using funds donated by Ralph Bright. According to the deed, half of the land was to be used as a cemetery. Henry Sisson donated the timber for the building. That same year, the Paint Lick Baptist Church was admitted to the Ten Mile Baptist Association. In 1886 the Paint Lick Baptist congregation built a church building on the knoll that was used for over 100 years. In 1957 it purchased an additional tract of land from Willie B. Norton for $1,500 to expand the church cemetery. In 2000 a modern church and Sunday school building was erected on the old church site. This is an active congregation today. Jonathan Howe, whose son Silas was a captain in the 18th Kentucky Union Infantry, maintained a general store at the hamlet of Sugar Creek near the Ohio River. Jonathan Howe was born in Auburn, N.Y., to a family who migrated to Patriot, Ind., and became leaders in the antislavery Universalist Church there. Several of his nephews were steamboat pilots and were believed to be useful in giving information to the Union during the Civil War. Completely dedicated to the Union cause, Howe organized a company of Home Guards numbering 18 to 20 men. Their training camp, called Camp Boyle, was on Paint Lick Creek. On October 30, 1861, two soldiers from Captain Jonathan Howe's Home Guards were captured by a party of Confederates said to be 30 to 40 in number, led by Luther Green, a local recruit to the CSA. News came to Captain Howe that these two men were about to be hanged, so he immediately began pursuit and caught up with the Confederates. In the ensuing skirmish, Confederates Robert Herndon and T. J. Hughes were killed, and Luther Green was taken prisoner and sent to Cincinnati via steamboat to be incarcerated at Camp Chase in Columbus, Ohio. The two captured Home Guards were freed unharmed, and small arms and personal equipment were confiscated in the Battle of Paint Lick. Several of the families in the Warsaw, Paint Lick, and Sugar Creek area sent sons into the Union Army. Officers in the 18th Kentucky Infantry included Lt. Col. John J. Landrum; captains D. R. Pugsley, Henry P. Richey, and James C. Bacon; and 1st Lt. Weedon C. Sleet. Officers in the 55th Kentucky Infantry were Capt. John C. Richards (mustered in as a 2nd lieutenant in the 18th Kentucky Infantry), Capt. Silas Howe (mustered in as 1st lieutenant in the Kentucky 18th), and 2nd Lt. George W. Story. The Union 7th Cavalry officers included Capt. George M. Sisson, 1st Lt. John S. Stoghill, 1st Lt. John Thomas Hopkins, and 2nd Lt. Robert E. Carlton. William M. Simpson served as quartermaster sergeant in the 11th Kentucky Cavalry. Bogardus, Carl R., Sr. The Story of Gallatin County. Ed. James C. Claypool. Cincinnati: John S. Swift, 2003. Howe, Daniel, as reported in A Tour through Indiana in 1840: The Diary of John Parsons of Petersburg, Virginia, ed. Kate Milner Rabb. New York: Robert M. McBride, 1920. Diane Perrine Coon PALM, EUGENE JIMMY "GENE" (b. November 8, 1930, Newport, Ky.; d. February 20, 1987, Huntsville, Ala.). Gene Palm, who worked in missile development with the U.S. Army, was the only son of railroad mechanic Walter James "Jimmy" and Mayme Elizabeth Phirman Palm. Gene grew up along the west side of Saratoga St., near 10th St., in Newport, and he and his father were heavily involved in knothole baseball. Gene graduated from Newport High School in 1949. He attended the University of Cincinnati and earned a BS (1954) and an MA (1956) in chemical engineering. He finished school while the Hungarian uprising during the cold war was taking place in 1956, was drafted into the military, and went to Fort Knox for U.S. Army basic training. At the end of basic training, when most soldiers were assigned to train at specialized military schools, Palm was pulled aside and handed special orders. After two weeks of leave, he was to report to the Redstone Missile Base in Huntsville, Ala. There he was to report to Dr. Wernher von Braun, the former Nazi missile scientist, who was then heading up the U.S. missile development program. For the duration of his two years in the army, Palm was paid as a private while serving as one of von Braun's assistants. Afterward, he was formally hired as a civilian by the U.S. Army Missile Command, where he worked for the next 30 years. Because of national security regulations, he was not allowed to discuss what he did, other than to explain that he worked with rocket fuels. He had a top-secret clearance and traveled the world. Early one February morning in 1987, at his Huntsville home, Palm had a diabetic attack from which he did not recover. He was buried in a Huntsville cemetery. The work Palm did in Huntsville as one of von Braun's assistants in missile research remains classified. Phirman Family File, vertical fi le, Kenton Co. Public Library, Covington, Ky. PARISH KITCHEN. When Rev. William Mertes was appointed pastor of Mother of God Catholic Church in Covington in 1971, he initiated many changes in the parish. One of them was inspired by his discovery that homeless and lowincome individuals were often coming to the rectory looking for something to eat (see Homelessness and Homeless Shelters). He started a food kitchen in the parish hall, serving soup and sandwiches to those in need. In 1974, because of the need for more room to cook and serve, Mertes moved the soup kitchen to a former bar in Covington, located at the corner of Pike and Russell Sts., and called it the Parish Kitchen. Mary and James LaVelle helped to run the soup kitchen, along with many other parishioners, until Molly Navin became director in 1987. The building that houses the Parish Kitchen was remodeled from a front-room bar to a full room in the back of the building, with a commercial kitchen and tables and chairs. The Parish Kitchen serves a full hot meal from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., seven days a week. More than 300 guests are served each day, and there are more than 300 active volunteers who cook and serve at the kitchen or prepare desserts and entr�es at home to be served at the Parish Kitchen. Others pick up donations from local restaurants such as Panera Bread, which offers the Parish Kitchen its overstocked goods each Sunday. To brighten holidays such as Thanksgiving, eager volunteers cook and serve turkey, dressing, and other traditional fare and offer fellowship to the homeless, low-income families, and anyone else who comes through the door. The Kenton Co. Public Library sponsors a reading program for children at the Parish Kitchen. On two Wednesdays each month, Erin Seitz, a children's programmer with the library, comes in during the lunch hour and, moving from table to table, reads to the children. Thanks to donations from the community, Seitz also distributes books that the children may take with them. Used paperback books are also available for adults to borrow or keep. Bogenschutz, Pat, Joan Burkhart, Mary Clare Duhme, Jodi Keller, and Molly Navin. Interviews by Nancy J. Tretter, 2006, Covington, Ky. Hicks, Jack. "At Parish Kitchen, Kindness Takes No Holiday," KP, December 25, 1998, 1K. Kreimer, Peggy. "Nourishing Body and Mind," KP, January 29, 2005, 1K. Nancy J. Tretter Michael R. Sweeney PARKER, ANNA VIRGINIA (b. March 28, 1889, Ghent, Ky.; d. March 23, 1979, Ghent, Ky.). Anna V. Parker, the daughter of Belvierd D. and Susan Ferguson Sanders Parker, was a family historian. Her father was a native of North Carolina; her mother was the daughter of Joseph and Mary Eliza Lathrop Sanders. Never married, Anna Parker became educated and was a grade school teacher in Carroll Co. for many years. She lived with her brother, Will Parker, in Ghent. Anna Parker collected original letters, diaries, manuscripts, and documents relating to her greatgrandfather Lewis Sanders and his family estate, 700 PARKER, ELIZABETH F. Grass Hills, located near Sanders. In 1966 the Coleman Publishers of Madison, Ind., published Parker's book, The Sanders Family of Grass Hills. From its release, this book has been acknowledged as a superior example of family history and genealogy. Kentucky's premier historian, Thomas D. Clark, extolled Parker's use of original letters and family documents to tell the stories of Lewis Sanders and George Nicholas Sanders in their own words. Clark also called attention to the detailing of the history of early Kentucky agriculture through these characters and applauded Parker's attempt to draw more rounded portraits by describing their participation in the local political scene as it related to national events. When Parker gave a voice to the individual slaves who were owned by Lewis Sanders at Grass Hills, she was among the first of the state's local historians to include slaves' own words in such an account. She also provided a relatively unvarnished view of the personalities of the Sanders family members. At the end of the book, Parker detailed collateral family genealogies and traced the interweaving of the Craig and Sanders cousins in the antebellum and Victorian periods. Through her will, probated in May 1979, the major portions of Parker's collection of Sanders family materials went to the Filson Club in Louisville (now the Filson Historical Society) and are kept in the special collections archives of the Filson Historical Society. Included are the correspondence, the journals, and the diaries; meticulous records of pedigreed short-horned cattle and sheep and thoroughbred horses; and clippings of articles and letters submitted by Lewis Sanders to various agricultural journals and magazines. Parker was a member of the Ghent Methodist Episcopal South Church, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and the Port William Historical Society. She was a longtime member and past president of the Caby Froman Club and the Carroll Co. Homemakers Club. She died in 1979 and was buried in the Ghent Cemetery. Accession Records, Filson Historical Society, Louisville, Ky. "Obituary of Anna V. Parker," Carrollton Democrat, March 28, 1979. Parker, Anna V. The Sanders Family of Grass Hills. Madison, Ind.: Coleman, 1966. Sanders Family Papers, Filson Historical Society, Louisville, Ky. direct the two businesses, and she continues to live at the funeral home location on Elizabeth St. in Augusta. An avid historian, Elizabeth was a board member of the Kentucky Historical Society and is a recipient of the Bracken Co. Historical Society Living History Award. She actively contributes to educational and historical functions and to the local DAR and is the principal organist at the Augusta Christian Church. "Elizabeth Jett Joins Flying Club," Bracken Chronicle, October 17, 1935. Caroline R. Miller PARKER, LINDA (b. Genevieve Muenich, January 18, 1912, Covington, Ind.; d. August 12, 1935, Mishawaka, Ind.). Although often promoted as having been born in Covington, Ky., to mask her illegitimacy, country singing star Linda Parker (her stage name) was actually born in Covington, Ind. She had no known ties to Northern Kentucky. Indiana Death Certificate No. 176, St. Joseph Co., Ind., for the year 1935. Samuelson, Dave. "Linda Parker: WLS's Sunbonnet Girl." Journal of the American Academy for the Preservation of Old-Time Country Music 30 (1995): 16�17. PARK HILLS. Park Hills is located on the hilltops just west of the city of Covington and is adjacent to Devou Park. Served by both the Dixie Highway and Amsterdam Pk., the city is bordered by Fort Wright to the south, Covington to the east, and Devou Park to the north and west. The land on which Park Hills sits is known for its considerable natural beauty. Coram, Spencer and Corry Development Company first acquired a portion of the property, situated along Old State Rd., in the 1840s. The company subdivided the tract and laid out streets, but they were never graded. Robert C. Simmons, a prominent Northern Kentucky attorney, and Ed Renz acquired Spencer and Corry's tract in 1907. The two laid out Audubon Rd., hoping to develop the property, but they failed to grade it. The true development of Park Hills began when D. Collins Lee purchased a tract of land at the end of what is now Emerson Rd. in 1922. To acquire city conveniences, such as gas, sewer, and water, Lee decided to purchase more land and subdivide it to make those city conveniences possible. The resulting partnership between Simmons and Lee proved advantageous to both (Renz was deceased when Lee bought the land). They formed the Lee & Simmons Development Company and recorded numerous plats for the subdivision of Park Hills in 1924. The company encountered a property dispute that slowed the development of Park Hills. The Light estate, which made up the north portion of Park Hills, including part of Emerson St., Morgan Ct., and Breckenridge and Upper Jackson Sts., was an essential piece of property. An elderly, eccentric man named Rufus Light claimed to own the property. He maintained a small refreshment stand near what is now Montague Rd. Light lived in a small shack near his stand until he was evicted on March 25, 1924, and moved into a tent. Light claimed to own the land, but the Covington Savings Bank and Trust Co. and the Covington Park Board disagreed. Light's father had presumably presented the land to county authorities before his death. Ultimately, the Covington Savings Bank and Trust Co. dispossessed Light of his land for the payment of a debt against the estate. The Lee & Simmons Development Company acquired the property from the bank. Before building any homes, Lee and Simmons paid for city water, sewer, and gas to be supplied to each lot. The direct access to the Fort Mitchell streetcar line also added to the city's convenience. The Park Hills trolley station has since been converted into a playground and public garden called Trolley Park. Simmons and Lee visualized a subdivision featuring beauty combined with convenience. All of their decisions seem to support this directive. Architects Deglow and Henthrone and C. F. Cellarius and the homeowners themselves designed many of the first homes built in Park Diane Perrine Coon PARKER, ELIZABETH F. (b. January 27, 1916, Cincinnati, Ohio). Entrepreneur Elizabeth Frances Parker is the daughter of Garrett and Mollie Howard Jett of Brooksville. She attended Florida State College for Women in Tallahassee, Fla., and the University of Kentucky in Lexington, where she was a student of aviation. After her marriage to undertaker John S. Parker, the couple operated the Moore and Parker Funeral Homes in Augusta and Brooksville from 1937 until John's death in 1994. Currently, Elizabeth and her son John G. Parker White Horse Tavern, Dixie Highway, Park Hills. The tavern was destroyed by fire in 1972. PASSIONIST NUNS 701 Hills. Lee's home at the end of Emerson, built in an English Manorial style with slate imported from England, is still standing today. Park Hills features many diverse architectural styles in the homes constructed in the early years of the development. To ensure further the picturesque quality of Park Hills, Lee and Simmons limited the business district to a small tract of land opposite the city's entrance to Dixie Highway. The developers intended for the area to house a grocery, a drug store, and a restaurant. Today, the area is occupied by a green grocer, a dentist, a beautician, an auto repair shop, several restaurants, and various offices. Park Hills proved to be a popu lar place to live. Many Covington residents moved to the developing subdivision to escape city pollution and congestion. Park Hills also offered a riding club, a tennis club, and an archery club to entice buyers. These features were made possible by arrangements with Devou Park. By 1927, 100 homes had been built, with more planned. In addition, a 1927 Lee & Simmons Development Company brochure indicates that the company had already invested $1.5 million in the development, with another $1 million planned. This rapid growth prompted citizens to hold a mass meeting to decide whether or not the city should join with Covington or incorporate as an independent city. The group voted in favor of incorporation, and the City of Park Hills was officially incorporated on June 28, 1927. A board of trustees was named to govern the city until an election could be held. The first members of the board were Stanley G. Disque, Joseph Hermes, William Middendorf, R. M. Rankin, and William Ruef. At the time of incorporation, Park Hills had 500 inhabitants and property valued at nearly $4 million. Park Hills became a fift h-class city in 1937. This status meant the city would administer its own affairs with a board of equalization, a city assessor, a tax collector, and a six-person council, presided over by an elected mayor. The first mayor was Lawrence Taylor. A mayor and a six-member council currently govern Park Hills. The first police chief of Park Hills was Melvin Crump, who received the meager salary of $75 a month. Crump did an excellent job, but it became apparent to city leadership that a second patrolman was needed, so Fred Hiltz was added to lighten the load. On the eve of World War II, an auxiliary police department was employed. These people received no salary and had to provide their own uniforms. The police department currently employs seven people, six of them full-time. Not until 1942 did Park Hills officially establish its own volunteer fire department. Previously, the city depended upon Covington's fire services. Local newspaper columnist Jim Reis once noted that these ser vices may have cost Park Hills $50 per run. Park Hills also built a city building in 1942 at 1006 Amsterdam Rd. The first chief of the new fire department was Norbert Brahm. A volunteer rescue squad was added to the fire department. The first public school in Park Hills was built for $35,000 in 1928--one year after incorporation. Two prominent Catholic high schools, Covington Catholic High School and Notre Dame Academy, were later moved from Covington to Park Hills. Covington Catholic was built on the site of the Kremer farm; Notre Dame was built on part of the St. Joseph Heights Convent's property. Both schools are still active and growing. The former Park Hills Elementary School is now owned and occupied by the Gateway Community and Technical College. There are two churches within the city of Park Hills. The first, the Faith Christian Center (formerly Gloria Dei Lutheran), is located on Amsterdam Rd. directly across from the city building. The other, the Church of the Nazarene (see Nazarenes), is on Dixie Highway near Covington Catholic High School. The 1930s saw an economic boom along the Park Hills section of Dixie Highway. It became known as the Gourmet Strip, largely because of the excellent eateries inside Park Hills, which included the Blue Star Tavern and the White Horse. In 1933 Covington passed a resolution permitting a suit to be brought against Park Hills for using Covington sewers without authority from the city of Covington. The suit was designed to force Park Hills to pay for the construction and maintenance of the Amsterdam Pk. and Willow Run trunk sewers. Ultimately, in 1935, as part of a Works Progress Administration project, Park Hills built a sewer at the end of Audubon Rd. and on the west side of Altavia Rd. that was designed to empty into a sewage disposal plant. The project cost $25,912, of which the government paid $21,418. In 1937 the St. James sewer was constructed, and the city paid the entire costs of $4,014.03. In that same year, Park Hills annexed Mocking Bird Valley, located along Old State Rd. In 1938 a sewage disposal plant was built, at a cost of $20,000. The Park Hills Civic Association, responsible for many of the Park Hills signature events and city-beautification projects, was founded in 1934. Funds from the annual Civic Association fund drive are allocated, in part, to the Park Hills Police Department, the Park Hills Volunteer Fire Department, and the Park Hills Rescue Squad. The present boundaries of Park Hills were established largely by acquisitions in the 1940s of Cecilia Ave. (developed by William Dickman), Scenic Dr. (developed by the Newport Finance Company), the St. Joseph Ln. section, and the Mount Allen section, which included all of the Dickman properties, such as the sizable Dickman apartment complex. There has been little development of Park Hills in recent years, since nearly every usable lot was taken long ago. According to the U.S. Census Bureau report, the Park Hills population in 2000 was 2,997. By 2005 that figure had dropped to 2,803. In 2008, 600 houses in the city were added to the National Register of Historic Places. "Aged Recluse Is Evicted," KP, March 25, 1924, 1. "City Fight with Park Hills on Sewers Pushed," KP, November 16, 1933, 2. The City of Park Hills: Kentucky's Most Beautiful City. Brochure. Covington, Ky.: Lee and Simmons Development Company, 1927. Clark, Russell. "Development of Park Hills," tape recording, 1985, fi les of the City of Park Hills. "Gift Wrap the China; This Is Park Hills' 20th Anniversary," Pride of Park Hills, 1947. Newsletter of the Park Hills Civic Association. Kenton Co. Deed Book 203, p. 521; Book 206, pp. 642�50; Book 209, pp. 519�20, Covington, Ky. "Light to Leave Covington," KP, April 1, 1924, 4. "Park Hills Becomes City in Less than Five Years," KP, December 30, 1928, 7. Park Hills Board of Trustees Minutes, June 30, 1927, Park Hills, Ky. Park Hills: The New City on the Hilltops. Brochure. Covington, Ky.: Lee and Simmons Development Company, 1927. "Park Hills to Begin Career as Fift h Class City at Meeting of Trustees on Monday," KP, December 30, 1937, 1. Reis, Jim. "Park Hills was Model for Suburbia," KP, October 1, 1984, 4K. "Sewage Plant for Park Hills," KP, October 10, 1939, 1. Udry, Mrs. Richard J. "History of Park Hills Is Traced," KP, August 8, 1940, 2. U.S. Census Bureau. "American Fact Finder. Data Set. Census 2000 Summary File 1 (SF1) 100-Percent Data. Custom Table." www.census.gov (accessed May 25, 2007). Iris Spoor PARKS, ELIZABETH (b. May 1888, New York; d. May 7, 1925, Washington, D.C). Singer Elizabeth Parks was the daughter of Dr. Robert and Elizabeth Parks, both of whom were English. Her father was a well-known veterinary surgeon in Covington, and her mother was active in the Covington Art Club. The family lived at 1444 Madison Ave. and later at 1113 Scott St. Elizabeth attended the Covington public schools. Well recognized for her fine voice, she was prominent in the musical circles of Covington and for a time the soloist at Trinity Episcopal Church in Covington. Around 1910 she moved to Canada, and later during World War I, she traveled overseas to sing for the Allied troops as part of an entertainment tour sponsored by the YMCA. It was during this time that she met and married her husband, Herbert Hutchinson. In 1921 she gave birth to a daughter, Elizabeth. She and her husband, who was a district secretary for the YMCA, resided in Ottawa, Canada. During a visit to Washington, D.C., in 1925 Elizabeth died; her husband and her young daughter survived her. She was buried at Highland Cemetery in Fort Mitchell, Ky. "Deaths," KP, May 8, 1925, 12. Highland Cemetery Records, Fort Mitchell, Ky. "Singer Dies at Washington," KTS, May 8, 1925, 1. PASSIONIST NUNS. Shortly after his arrival in Covington in 1945, Bishop William T. Mulloy invited the Nuns of the Congregation of the Passion of Jesus Christ (Passionists) to come to the Diocese of Covington (see Roman Catholics). The Passionist Nuns are a contemplative congregation of women religious who devote their lives to prayer and penance. As such, they live in an enclosed community (a cloister) and speak to guests only through a grille. In response to the bishop's 702 PATRICK, IRENE request, five sisters from the Passionist Congregation in Pittsburgh, Pa., headed by Mary Matilda Hartman, arrived in Covington in 1947. Mulloy reserved a place for them on the Marydale property that the diocese had just recently purchased in Erlanger. In 1949 the congregation of nuns acquired a site along Donaldson Rd. in Erlanger from the diocese and lived temporarily in a farmhouse while their convent was under construction. Mulloy dedicated the new Passionist Convent on January 24, 1951. Before becoming enclosed, the sisters held a two-week-long open house so the public could view their new convent's facilities. Today, the convent, home to eight nuns, is open on Sunday and weekday mornings for visitors to join in their celebration of the Eucharistic liturgy or Mass, though the nuns are still separated by a screen. The congregation of nuns makes altar breads that they sell, providing income and supplying the Eucharistic bread or hosts for many parishes of the diocese. The Passionist Nuns also have a special ministry of prayer for the needs of the Diocese of Covington and the larger Catholic Church, as well as for the needs of the entire world. "Bishop to Dedicate Passionist Convent at Marydale," Messenger, January 14, 1951, 1A. "Diocese Fund Aids Retirees," KE, December 10, 2005, B3. "Passionist Nuns Arrive," Messenger, May 4, 1947, 12. Reis, Jim. "A Summer of Contests: Paper, Theaters Have Gimmick," KP, June 3, 1991, 4K. Irene Patrick, 1978. Warner, Jennifer S. Boone County: From Mastodons to the Millennium. Burlington, Ky.: Boone Co. Bicentennial Book Committee, 1998. Thomas S. Ward Nancy J. Tretter PATRICK, IRENE (b. August 7, 1929, Kenton Co., Ky.; d. December 23, 2007, Hebron, Ky.). Irene M. Patrick, a Boone Co. commissioner, was the daughter of Dalton and Nora Colston Martin. She married Charles Patrick in 1949, and the couple had two daughters. In 1977 Patrick ran against incumbent Galen McGlasson for county commissioner and became the first woman in the entire state to be elected to that position. Patrick was also a Girl Scout leader, a Homemakers officer, a PTA president, and the chair of the Junior Red Cross, as well as working at the family business, Patrick Auto Parts. After serving as commissioner for 17 years, she lost one election but later returned for 9 more years; throughout her career, she served with four judge executives. Patrick was always interested in helping Boone grow and prosper. When property owners living in Rabbit Hash wanted to put in a dock for boats that would bring tourists to their town, they approached the county commissioners for assistance. Patrick not only endorsed the plan but recruited volunteers to help build the dock. In appreciation for her assistance, the dock was named in her honor. In 1999 Patrick was honored with the Outstanding Woman of Northern Kentucky award for her notable achievements, outstanding ser vice, and personal qualities of integrity, perseverance, and leadership. She died in 2007 and was buried in Hebron Lutheran Church Cemetery. Crowley, Patrick. "Patrick Served Passionately," KE, December 25, 2007, B1. "Five Lives of Ser vice and Achievement," KP, April 20, 1999, 6K. PATTERSON, ANNE LEE (b. October 20, 1912, Ludlow, Ky.; d. December 13, 2003, Camarillo, Calif.). Anne Lee Patterson was the daughter of John W. and Anna L. Burns Patterson. Her father worked for the Southern Railway, and the family lived in Ludlow at 29 Kenner St. She attended St. James School in Ludlow and La Salette Academy in Covington. Patterson appeared in beauty contests at the Coney Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati and worked as a model and a clerk for the Coppin's Department Store in Covington. In 1931, at age 18, she was crowned Miss United States at Galveston, Tex. Later that year, she was named runner-up in the Miss Universe Contest, finishing ahead of future movie glamour queen Dorothy Lamour. On June 25, 1931, the city of Ludlow put on a parade in Patterson's honor, and it was attended by thousands of Northern Kentuckians. Beauty contests in those days were totally based on beauty, and not on the talents of the contestants. Patterson was five feet and five inches tall, with a 26-inch waist, and weighed 118 pounds. From 1931 through 1933, she performed with the famous Ziegfield Follies and in the musical Showboat, on the Broadway stage. She married a shirtmanufacturing executive, Joseph Bandler, and they moved to Los Angeles, where they raised two sons. Her husband, who was 14 years her senior, died in 1993, and Anne died in 2003. Her burial location is not known at this time. Hicks, Jack. "In 1931, Ludlow Teen Was Crowned Miss U.S." KP, September 27, 1999, 1K. " `Miss America' Wins Home Town Plaudits," KP, June 26, 1931, 1. PATTIE, JAMES OHIO (b. 1803, Augusta, Ky.; d. ca. 1833, place of death unknown). James Ohio Pattie is the author of one of the most important early travel narratives in U.S. literature, The Personal Narrative of James O. Pattie. He and his father, Sylvester Pattie, were among the first pioneers in the U.S. Southwest and California and are widely acknowledged to have led the first party of explorers to thread the South Rim of the Grand Canyon and record that journey. Born in Augusta, Ky., James Pattie was the oldest of the eight children born to Sylvester and Polly Pattie. In 1812 his family moved from Kentucky to Missouri. As noted by historian and Pattie scholar Richard Batman in his book American Ecclesiastes: An Epic Journey through the American West, Pattie's family prized education. Into his late teens, Pattie attended a school his grandfather had helped found, Bracken Academy at Augusta, which later became Augusta College. While not completely prepared for life as a fur trapper and explorer, this young frontiersman was uniquely positioned to record his adventures. The first published narrative recording an overland journey to California, Pattie's story covers his sojourn of five years and several thousand miles. From 1825 to 1830, his trapping and exploring led him, his father, and his companions through the Southwest, as they crossed the arid peninsula of Lower California and eventually reached Mission Santa Catalina on the Pacific coast. Trespassing onto Mexican territory without passports, they were placed in custody and taken to San Diego, a Spanish settlement. Sylvester Pattie died in jail and became the first U.S. citizen buried in California, but eventually James Pattie was paroled. He traveled up and down the coast of California for another year before sailing to Mexico in an attempt to secure reparations for furs lost before and during his and his father's imprisonment in San Diego. After a half decade of exploration and fortune hunting, in 1830 Pattie arrived by ship in New Orleans, La. By the time he finally returned to the place of his birth on the Ohio River, he was physically and emotionally exhausted, not to mention penniless. He had only the stories recorded in his journal. Before long, word of Pattie's western narrative reached Timothy Flint, a well-known preacher, author, publisher, and propagandist of American Protestant expansion who lived in Cincinnati. He was fascinated by Pattie's journey and set about making arrangements for publication of the account. Ever since Pattie's narrative first appeared in print in 1831, it has been in continuous publication. Some have argued that much of it was invented and written by Flint himself--a viewpoint discredited by Pattie expert Batman. Based on a variety of compelling reasons, the narrative is credited to the frontiersman rather than Flint's imagination. After his book was published, James Pattie vanished without a trace. The last record was his appearance on the Bracken Co. tax list in 1833. PAUL, GABRIEL RENE, BRIGADIER GENERAL 703 There have been an abundance of theories and reported sightings over the ensuing years, but the most likely scenario is that he was a victim of the wide-spread cholera epidemics that struck Kentucky in 1833 and was buried anonymously in a mass grave. Batman, Richard. American Ecclesiastes: An Epic Journey through the Early American West. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1984. Cleland, Robert Glass, and Glenn S. Dumke, ed. From Wilderness to Empire: A History of California. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 1962. Coblentz, Stanton A. The Swallowing Wilderness: The Life of a Frontiersman--James Ohio Pattie. New York: Thomas Yoseloff, 1961. "Kentuckians Early California Pioneers--Father and Son, Bracken Co. Natives, Helped Open Up," KP, June 21, 1931, 8. Pattie, James O. The Personal Narrative of James O. Pattie. Cincinnati: E. H. Flint, 1831. coast. Because they had trespassed onto Mexican territory, Mexican governor Jose Maria Echeandia took the party into custody on March 27, 1828. While confined at the San Diego Presidio, Sylvester Pattie became seriously ill and died in May 1828. He was interred on the grounds of the Presidio and is believed to be the first U.S citizen buried on California soil. A plaque mounted on the stone jailhouse immortalizes his contributions by referencing the key role he played in the development of the American West: he was a "pathfinder, leader of the first party of Americans into Alta California over southern trails." Batman, Richard. American Ecclesiastes: An Epic Journey through the Early American West. New York: Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1984. "Kentuckians Early California Pioneers--Father and Son, Bracken Co. Natives, Helped Open Up," KP, June 21, 1931, 8. Pattie, James O. The Personal Narrative of James O. Pattie. Cincinnati: E. H. Flint, 1831. Steven Pattie PATTIE, SYLVESTER (b. August 25, 1782, Craig's Station, Ky.; d. May 24, 1828, San Diego, Calif.). Sylvester Pattie, the son of John and Ann Pattie, led the first party of U.S. citizens into Lower California. His parents had traveled overland from Virginia to Kentucky in about 1781. They entered the state as part of Lewis Craig's Traveling Church, a large Baptist fellowship from Spotsylvania Co., Va., traveling west to escape religious persecution by the Anglican Church. Although the Patties were part of this caravan, they may or may not have subscribed to the church's religious