Issuu on Google+

Chester County FHU art show, Page 16-A A Thursday FEBRUARY 7, 2013 Independent 148th YEAR - NO. 40 $1.00 Board studying rec. facility improvements By Marney Gilliam Staff Writer Photo by James A. Webb, Independent Storm winds on Jan. 30 deposited an American flag on the lawn of a home in the Glendale Community. (See additional photos, Page 15-A.) Nine homes gone after Jan. 30 storm By James A. Webb and Mary Mount Dunbar 2 Sections Life & Styles Opinion What’s Happening Obituaries Right to Know Sports Education Classifieds 4-A 8-A 9-A 10-A 12-A 1-B 4-B 6-B High winds including a possible F2 tornado tore through Chester and surrounding counties in the early morning hours of Jan. 30. At least nine homes were completely destroyed in Chester County and four persons injured. According to Henderson- Chester County Emergency Management Agency Director Johny Farris, the National Weather Service is still assessing the storm. Preliminary information indicates the storm included winds of around 110 miles per hour which ripped along a path mainly from Hwy 200 to the Glendale area in northeast Chester County, along and See STORM, Page 15-A The Chester County School Board held a special called meeting Jan. 31 to consider plans for facility improvements and safety options. Jimmy Anderson of Anderson Buchler Architects gave a presentation regarding improvements to a seven-acre parcel of property behind East Chester Elementary School. Proposed improvements would include adding six new tournament level tennis courts, two basketball courts and a volleyball court, baseball practice fields and fencing, a walkway, a shade pavilion, a three-tenths mile lighted walking track, a pavilion with restrooms and concession area as well as the band area being moved, stretched to 80 yards and fenced. There are 5 alternative proposals with the first proposal/base bid consisting of the new tennis courts, the basketball and volleyball courts, band practice area and the lighting associated with that at an estimated cost of $494,000. Alternate 1 would be the concessions area pavilion with the estiSee BOARD, Page 2-A FHU joins new league Freed-Hardeman University announced Monday that it has joined the American Midwest Conference for athletics beginning in the fall of this year. The AMC will now have a dozen schools stretching from west Tennessee and Kentucky through Arkansas and Illinois all the way to Kansas City, Mo. FHU spent the last 17 years as a charter member of the TranSouth Athletic Conference. The TranSouth, however, is dissolving due to a variety of factors. For complete story, see page 1-B. Wade recalls Pearl Harbor attack By James A. Webb Editor TODAY’S WEATHER What was your favorite Super Bowl ad of 2013? The Pearl Harbor attacks of Dec. 7, 1941, have been recounted many times over the last almost 70 years. One of the few still able to tell of those events is a former Chester Countian, Cecil Homer Wade, now living in California. Wade, now more than 90 years of age, was serving in the U.S. Navy, stationed on the USS Nevada. He has a vivid memory of the events of that day. “I was on the beach all night, in Honolulu. I partied all night,” said Wade of the Saturday night before the attacks. “But on the way back on to the ship, a close friend who was a religious type told me – Wade, you should be praying, because something is going to happen. He said he could just feel it.” His friend was correct. As the two buddies were boarding the ship, the announcement was made: “Man your battle stations, on the double.” “They began a countdown, 70, 60, 40, … and when they got to 20 we got ready to fire. The attack was a big surprise. No one was thinking about an attack.” Unfortunately, Wade’s prophetic friend died within minutes, cut in half by shrapnel. During the attack, Wade suffered serious acid burns, but, “As the Lord would have it, I survived.” When word got back to Henderson that Wade was severely injured, relatives feared and supposed he had died in the attack because they did not hear anymore from Wade for a long period of time. Wade said because of the war he could not get information back to Henderson. When he finally had recovered enough and was granted a leave, he returned home. He knocked on the door of his parents’ home, and his mother came to the door. Upon seeing her son, which she supposed had perished at Pearl Harbor, she fainted. The USS Nevada was the only battleship to get underway after the attack. This made her a target for several See WADE, Page 3-A Cecil Homer Wade, a graduate of Chester County Training School, served his country with honor in the Navy during WWII.

Chester County Independent 02-07-13

Related publications