Issuu on Google+

KHI 27-10-2012_Layout 1 10/27/2012 12:13 AM Page 1 Nawaz misleading people with hefty tax claims: Imran Khan Family of Chinese PM has hidden fortune: NYT PAGE |19 India’s foreign minister quits ahead of reshuffle PAGE |19 PAGE |04 Saturday, 27 october, 2012 dhu al-Haj 10, 1433 Rs 22.00 Vol iii no 122 19 pages Karachi — peshawar edition Suicide bomber kills more than 40 at Afghan mosque g Pakistan, Us condemn attack KABUL AFP A PESHAWAR: Men greet each other after Eidul Azha prayers at Kacha Garhi Camp on Friday. AFP | story on PAge 24 Cell phones to stay offline for 4 hours today ISLAMABAD STAFF REPORT Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Friday said cell phone services would be suspended in certain parts of the country for four hours on Saturday (today) to minimise threats of terror attacks on Eidul Azha. Addressing a press conference, Malik said the suspension would not be carried out across the country, but in areas that were vulnerable to terrorist attacks, adding that the suspension would remain effective from 6am to 10am on Eidul Azha. Giving the breakup, the minister said that that most areas of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, 20 cities in Balochistan, three in Punjab, and two cities of Sindh would be affected by this measure. The minister also shared with the media copies of letters written by provincial governments who had requested for suspension of the services. Malik asserted that the decision had not been taken by an individual and rather all stakeholders were taken “on board”. “The Sindh government has requested me to suspend services almost across the province,” the minister said, adding that he had turned down the request and the services would be blocked only in areas with security concerns. However, he did not elaborate the nature of “concerns”. Asked about the criticism faced by the government over mobile service suspension, the minister said that he had been receiving messages on social media networks from several people calling him names and abuses who said that he had taken the country back into the stone age. “In return, I only request (them) patience … I have an obligation. I am the interior minister and providing security to you is my responsibility.” Continued on page 04 suicide bomber slaughtered more than 40 people, including five children, when he struck at a mosque in northern Afghanistan after Eidul Azha prayers on Friday, officials said. It was the worst death toll in a single attack in Afghanistan since 80 died on December 6 last year in a suicide blast at a shrine in Kabul on Ashura. At least 50 others were wounded as the bomb — reportedly stuffed with ball-bearings — ripped through the crowd of worshippers in Maymana city in Faryab province. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suicide bombings are a favourite weapon of Taliban trying to topple the Western-backed government of President Hamid Karzai. The attacker was wearing a police uniform when he blew himself up at the entrance to the city’s packed Eid Gah mosque, deputy provincial governor Abdul Satar Barez told AFP. “We have 42 dead — more than 20 are security forces and the rest of them are civilians, including five or six children,” he said. “Around 51 are wounded, some 15 of them critically injured.” A member of parliament for Faryab, Naqeebullah Fayeq, who was present during the attack put the death toll at 47. Barez, like many other provincial officials, was also at the scene at the time of the bombing and described the horror of the blast in the midst of a religious celebration. “We had just finished Eid al-Adha prayers and we were congratulating and hugging each other,” Barez said. “Suddenly a big explosion took place and the area was full of dust and smoke and body parts of police and civilians were all over the place. It was a very powerful explosion.” Continued on page 04 The offices of Pakistan Today will remain closed on October 27 and 28 on account of Eidul Azha. Therefore there will be no publication on 28th (Sunday) and 29th (Monday).

E-paper Pakistan Today 27th October, 2012

Related publications